Return auto accepted by eBay has no tracking info

eBay have automatically accepted a return on a top because buyer claimed it didn't suit her. Buyers has commented she has marked it as return to sender

I accept returns which is not a problem, the issue here is there is no tracking number uploaded in the request. The only info available in the request is -

The item's on the way back

You can give the buyer a refund now or wait for the item to arrive.

There is a choice of 2 boxes I can select 'mark as received' or 'refund buyer'

This is a first for me, can anyone advise please..

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

wait until you get it, and only mark as received if it is still in the same condition as if left you
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:
wait until you get it, and only mark as received if it is still in the same condition as if left you

Thanks twyngwyn, I just find it strange there's no return tracking number available to check the items progress. From the buyers point of view, they'd want to check the progress of their return!

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

The buyer cannot use RTS if the parcel has been opened.  It is meant for parcels that cannot be delivered for some reason....not for free postage because the buyer does not like it.

If the return is for a genuine reason and has been accepted by the seller then the seller should send a return postage label.

The buyer has no proof of sending it back to you....it is their word against yours whether it ever arrives.  Do not refund until you get it back.  I suspect you never will receive it.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

RTS can be a pretty risky way to do a return, if for no reason other than Aus Post's sorting system is largely automated, so they will scan the QR and barcodes on parcels to determine where it needs to go (I had a buyer in NT send something back marking a parcel RTS - it was unopened as I had sent them the wrong item, I sent the right item the day after via express, and asked them to RTS the first one when it got there afterwards, which they did).

Anyway, that RTS package took 2 months to get to me (and this is pre-covid), because it just bounced around all over the place and was even re-delivered to the buyer. (It was tracked the whole time, though, from memory - they don't exclude RTS packages from the scanners when they go through sorting, that would require hand sorting which defeats the purpose of automated sorting, so if you look at the original tracking number - if there is one - it may show some scan events already).

If it was an untracked letter, then a bit of a different story, but in either case, as long as the markings are clear, and the original delivery address is crossed out, it should eventually get back to you. However, RTS parcels can sometimes attract return postage fees (charged before you can collect), so just be aware that might happen and maybe consider some diplomatic ways to handle it if it does, before you're on the spot and trying to think of a message / reply. (This doesn't apply to letters normally, but as mentioned above, the articles are meant to be unopened). 

As far as the request goes - you'll start to get automated emails from eBay soon, "the buyers package should have arrived back by now, make sure you refund them ASAP". and other greatest hits. However, if you do not progress the case, it will eventually time out (unless the buyer escalates, but without valid tracking / proof of delivery, eBay is unlikely to decide in their favour). 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

The fact the buyer use RTS means they have no tracking or evidence of the return and will not win an eBay case.  As others have said, DO NOT REFUND until you receive the item back.  Just leave the return open until then.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply