Return 'faulty' item

HI,

I sold a phone a few days ago and the buyer messaged me saying the phone is fully functional but there is a problem with the battery. We both agreed on a partial refund for a replacement battery. Now they've messaged me saying the phone is fauly and want a full refund plus postage to return it. Am I in the wrong even though their first message says the phone is fully functional.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Return 'faulty' item

Has the partial refund been issued, and is this just through a normal message, or has the buyer opened a return request through eBay? 

Personally, I'd try to clarify the fault(s) first, if they haven't been specific in their messages, just to try and get an idea of what the issue is before deciding the best course of action. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Return 'faulty' item

I have already sent the refund and it was all done through normal messages.

I'm just unsure what to do since in their first message they said the phone is all good, now they're saying the apps jump around and the phone keeps freezing.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Return 'faulty' item

Unfortunately there's not too many options from here - i.e. you can either trust that the phone developed these faults on its own and accept a return, or not trust that and refuse (unless the buyer does open a request).

You could ask for a video of these faults occurring, and / or try to help troubleshoot (eg did it start happening after the batter was replaced), though the buyer needs to be willing and able to particpate in that. I'd personally just be honest with them, in situations like this I often will say something like I'm happy to help any way I can, and then ask for evidence of the claimed fault (usually photos, though they won't really help here) and tell them it's so I can get a proper understanding of the problem and determine the best course of action to take. I also add that if they can't provide that, then they can return the item and once received it will be inspected and refunded if found to be faulty, with return postage reimbursed.

You've already partially refunded and they have a phone, plus (presumably) both the original and old battery, but if accepting the return, I'd request that they return with the original battery, as the previous deal with regards to the partial refund to buy a new battery was offered on the understanding they were keeping the phone, and is void if the phone is returned (meaning that's a cost they will have to bear themselves). 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply