Returns policy required. What about insurance policy?

lemmayj
Community Member

Ebay now requires all sellers to put a returns policy on their listing. 

It seems to me, even more than a returns policy, is a requirement to state one's policy on what happens if a parcel is lost in transit. All very well for paypal to say that all a seller needs is proof of postage, but I wonder how many buyers know this?  

If I buy from a (non-ebay) business, it's quite common for them to explicitly offer insurance and to state that they won't cover you for lost or damaged parcels if the insurance is not taken.  

If I buy with a credit card, I know that I can do a charge back if my item does not arrive. But if I buy with paypal, not funded by a credit card?

Unfortunately ebay's US and UK policies, where responsibility for a parcel rests with a seller until (proven) delivery, conflicts with paypal's proof of postage policy, and so there's nowhere in an ebay invoice to add a line called "insurance".

All very well to say "a good seller will refund" or " a good seller will buy insurance", but how do you know whether you're dealing with a "good seller"?  And what if you're sending an item that can't be insured (see thread on buying board where a buyer's banknote was stolen in transit)?  

Not sure what the answer is here, but I think there is definitely a hole that needs to be filled/clarified.

(Disclaimer: this is a posting ID)

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Returns policy required. What about insurance policy?

"All very well to say "a good seller will refund" or " a good seller will buy insurance",

A good seller will refund, although if sent by trackable means they are covered in the event of a dispute,  but it is a sensible seller that sends items trackable to prove postage, which the cost would be added to the postage price,    If a buyer returns an item for what ever reason, they should also post by trackable means for paypal for initiate any refund.

Registered post is no longer an option, it has been replaced but still gives you the same cover should the item go missing, at a cost of course.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 2 of 2
Latest reply