Returns policy

5kazam
Community Member

I've just received an email stating I need to update my returns policy, or items will not be auto relisted 

Currently 7 days, (as I always thought the buyer will know within 7 days whether it's broken or not as described), but now need to increase to 30 days.  Peeves me a bit as I only sell pottery, so now if someone breaks something within 30 days they can get a refund.  Though I guess I could argue that it can't be returned in the condition it was sent.

Anyway I would have thought I could do this from Site Preferences, but I can't see where there is the option to change the return time.  And I really don't want to have to change each and every item one at a time.

So it would be appreciated if some members could steer me in the right direction.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Returns policy

At the moment eBay is covering the postage, but I think they will eventually turn it around so the sellers pay for it somehow. If I still bought a lot of stuff I might consider signing up for eBay plus, but I wouldn't bother as a seller. It doesn't really benefit sellers much at all. From what I can see, it benefits buyers more than anything.

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

None of the stuff that I buy is covered by eBay Plus, so I won't bother.

They must have got rid of all of their Google thingies - they're now offering a $20 gift card. A bit of a step down from an alleged $75 item.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

@aussie-picker wrote:

But  you are using it as a buyer not a seller 😉

And the sellers who had Ebay plus got the sales - without any cost to them at this point, as tippy says

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

I have had these emails also. What I find strange, is that, even though the policy has changed, you still have the option to select 7 days for returns! If it was against ebays policy, you would think this would not be an option anymore. 

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Must say I didn't see that option anywhere.  Though it may still be there when listing a new item.

And given the email stated that listings would not be auto re-listed, I figured I needed to change my 7 day returns, which I have now done - to no returns.

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for the advice.

I wasn't at all happy about receiving the same email.

I was going to cave and go with the 30 days but I am not happy with having to wait that long to find out if the person has a problem with my item or not.

I had 3 days up, more than enough time to discover if the item was damaged in transit or not as described and start the returns process.

30 days would be reasonable on something electrical maybe, but even then, if it isn't going to work you will find out pretty quick.

After reading that I am not alone in being very dissatisfied with the new policy I will go with the no returns for now, I spent the day adding reassurance to each of my listings so hopefully buyers won't be put off by my choice.

Jenny

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply