Rival selling site closure

Just saw that eBay's rival run by carsales is closing on 30 July!

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Rival selling site closure

My timeline for the ownership & name change may be wrong; But I recall April 2013 being the start of the nails in the coffin for me! The flood of sales became a trickle & there went my retirement plan! Ebay can't really fill the gap what with all the fees (including ones on sevices they don't even provide - like postage!)

Like many I'm doing OK on local social media sites - even though I use a computer as I don't have a mobile phone! I suppose I can say farewell to being Throughthelookingglass as I was known?

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I decided to have a look at the "sales" over there after receiving an email about the site's demise.

I coud not log in....they had decided that I needed to open an account.Smiley Frustrated

I feel sorry for sellers hoping to offload some of their stock before the lights go out.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

The looking glass is well and truly shattered!! You won't even be able to see a shadow of your former self in it now. 😉

I doubt I can even remember my passwords. A friend and I left a few things 'stored' on the site (as a back-up for our ebay listings) but I removed most of mine long ago. My friend said she was able to sign in to one account after she got the email, but not her second account.
Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

My account still works.

I can see my items (can't edit them) and delete those that are no longer available.

I've left the rest there, even though I doubt anybody would be able to buy them.

I am interested mainly in the amount of clicks I get on a defunct site, and, belatedly, how long it takes items to fall into unsold when I don't action 'needs attention'.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

If a lot of people were trying to sign in at the same time after they got the emails, that could account for why a lot of them couldn't access it.
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Hardly a valid argument.

This topic was started on the 18th....I did not get my email till the 20th which is when I decided to have a look.  I doubt that the site has ever been so busy that the sheer weight of members logging in would make it inoperable.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

I had about $20 in my account from when it first opened and ended up getting promoional gear for it a few years

ago,(pens,stickers,mugs that keep things warm,cloths to clean glasses).

Once it arrived I shut my account down and haven't been back there since,good.gif

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Hardly a valid argument.

This topic was started on the 18th....I did not get my email till the 20th which is when I decided to have a look.  I doubt that the site has ever been so busy that the sheer weight of members logging in would make it inoperable.

I would say the site has been running with the bare minimum of resources for the last few years so it probably wouldn't take much traffic to slow it down.  Not everyone would have logged in straight away.  I remember once when they made some stupid changes the whole site slowed way down because a lot of people would have been using the site at the same time - and that was when things were running fairly efficiently.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply