Rounding up on Final fee for Items

I apologise if this has been mentioned before in another thread but I can’t find anything on it.

I’ve only just started using eBay labelling as its now cheaper than using Aust Post CnS. My question is why has the item that I sold been rounded up by 1c? I’ve noticed this on all items that I’ve sold and posted with eBay.

I did find the following on eBay. 

Why you might see a rounding adjustment.
Your account balance can appear to be off by a few cents when compared to a manual calculation of your invoice line items. This is because we round off final value fees, which sometimes contain a fraction of a cent.

I think it’s a bit cheeky as all those cents add up over years.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

How else could they do it when the smallest legal tender is 5c? It is swings and rounderbouts, some will be rounded up and some down just as it happens when you go to the supermarket.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

5c may be the smallest denomination legal tender in currency but fees etc are usually paid via paypal/credit/debit card so rounding in that regards is not what ebay do.  They round to the next whole cent if it is a fraction.  I have queried ebay in regards to this on a few occassions when I have sold 2 items of same value and on one was charged 1cent more in fees - sometimes they round up and sometimes they round down, no real consistency.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

How else could they do it when the smallest legal tender is 5c? It is swings and rounderbouts, some will be rounded up and some down just as it happens when you go to the supermarket.

The rounding is not really rounding as far as I can see, eBay label system now automatically displays and adds 1c to the advertised post cost charge to buyer to calculate the label post charge.

For example, my post charges of $6.50 to buyer, display as $6.51 in the eBay label screen.

The post costs that show on my eBay account are the actual post cost, and do not refect this additional 1c

If there is a published rationale for this addition somewhere on eBay, please point me in that direcction.

Out of interest has anyone processing labels that have had an advertised post cost rounded down ?

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

and due to increase to .10c smallest coin in the very near future...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply