SCAM Beware..lost almost $620

Recently I Sold ipad to the Customer and after imidiate  payment frombuyer.

As requested by the buyer  I sent  the ipad to the Buyer becuase she already paid for .. What happend next... around one week time  I got message from Paypal mentioning  buyer lodge a Charge Back case /unnauthorised transaction  and they debit $620 from my Account. I contacted paypal immidiately and told everything I did and they  open dispute and inform it will take 70 days to investigate. After two weeks time they send me email they lost charge back case and I lost money without doing any wrong ( Satisfy Cutomer..lost Money). I have contacted eBay and they did only return my final value fee and cancel the buyers account. I was so frustrated and I'm 100% feedback Top rated seller. I just want to warn other sellers never sent parcels to address not registed with eBay as you have no protection at all. Any sugessions would be highly appricated to cover my loss. Thanks

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: SCAM Beware..lost almost $620

That's awful (BTW that address is a backpacker's hostel). Try reporting to police they may be able to catch the scammer 😞

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Yes you will always compromise your seller protection if you do not use the address provided via PayPal. In such cases you must ask the buyer to cancel the sale and buy again making the address change during the checkout process.
It seems to me like this buyer knew what they were doing a deliberately led you into using another address. Just so they could scam you.
Since it now Looks like illegal activity (fraud) I would be reporting this case to The ACORN. This is the Australian Federal Police. You will receive a case reference number. Once you have that pass it to both PayPal and EBay.
If this course of action fails I might be inclined to open a case with the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS ) as well. One way or the other you should be able to get your money back as it seems you were deliberately scammed.
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Just a second thought here too. If the address you sent to is a backpacker hostel then your scammer may have plans to leave the country very soon. So I would advise getting this Federal Police Report lodged very quickly so they can be stopped from leaving the country with your goods.
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

But is there any chance that  HE has been hacked and you just happened to be the victim $$$.

Many unused accounts get hacked......

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Already reported to the ACRON but no reply since then.. dont think local police care this matter..Thanks for your opinian.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Its my Bad. I was thinking this was genine request and post to the supplied address. Thought I can recover fee from eBay or paypal. But they have no further support as I did the wrong thing.

Only option left is lodge a complain to the FOS. Do you how this work and any chance of sucess ?

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Already lodged a complain but no reply yet almost one month now. Thanks for your opinian.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Yes I checked that I rang the place and guy answered the phone inform that they have CCTV on premises. Normally when delivered time is recorded on the system so they can check the CCTV on that perticuler time. I might suspect the place but cant go there as long way from Melbourne. Only police can do.

Thanks for your opinian.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for the details. Another new address and  name. The scamers use someone eles phone numbers and credit card numbers etc.

Also this can be track by IP address of the purchaser. When transaction originates it records senders IP address on eBay servers using the IP address they can track the location. but scammer is spoofe the IP then its no point. But ACRON can do proper investigation they can surely find the person using given IP address, AUS post tracking delivery information etc. But I have no reply from them ..So disspointed. But I will never give up ..

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply