SCAM OR NOT? HELP

julimosq
Community Member

Hi guys there's this guy claiming he's currently in Australia and wants to but my Gopro listing. He is offering me $720 to send it directly to Africa to his son for his birthday. I am double minded though, I feel like there is something wrong. It's not finalised yet but I just wanted to ask your opinion. I looked at his Ebay page profile and he only joined yesterday 25/10/14 and it says his location is definitely in South Africa. Do you guys think this is a scam??????

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

lolobgo
Community Member

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

Definitely a scam.

Scams like this usually have a very similar story about sending it to a relative.

And very often from Africa.

Don't have anything more to do with them and block them in your account.

image host
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

lolobgo
Community Member

Trust your gut on this one! It's BS. 

You have listed on your postage "posts only to Australia" ignore him. 

OR

send a polite message and and say that you send only to australia, 

Then add him to your Blocked bidder list. 

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

Absolutely, positively, 100% scam. The fact he was offering MORE than your Buy it Now price should have rung alarm bells, which it did.

Sadly, electronics are a target for scammers. Anyone who wants something sent to Africa is most definitely a scam, regardless of what it is. If you had a phone listed, you would probably have received a similar offer.

Your gut was right. A huge pat on the back to you for seeking help before you had committed to anything. Especially as the 'buyer' would have insisted you post before you got paid.

Good luck with selling it. I would be surprised if it didn't sell, especially with all the extras thrown in.

Edited to add: Do you know how to block buyers? Up the top of any eBay page, click on where it says 'G'Day <your real name>', then click on account settings. Then click on 'site preferences'. Scroll down to 'buyer requirements', click show, then edit. Right down the bottom of that screen is a link to add buyers to your blocked list. 

When you've added that buyer, click the back button and set up other blocks on that screen. Most as self explanatory. Have those blocks set can save heartbreak at times. Most importantly, set up the block to block buyers who have unpaid strikes against their name (set it to 2 in 12 months) and also the one where you block buyers who haven't gone through phone verification.

If you need more help, sing out.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

Thank you!! I knew it was too good to be true. Hehe I hope it sells too
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

Hi!! Thank you so much for the reply. I definitely don't want my hard earned cash taken that easily. Can you please tell me how to block this person from my account? Thanks in advance!
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

I have just edited my post to give instructions on how to block buyers. If you don't know how to do it, read the rest of my message.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

Hi thank you for your efforts. I have a problem though.
"Right down the bottom of that screen is a link to add buyers to your blocked list. " I can't seem to find the add buyers to block list ๐Ÿ˜ž
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

SCAM OR NOT? HELP

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply