Scam in selling on ebay

I received a (below asking price) offer for an item, which I ignored because the initial message sounded like a scam, but they bought my item at full price anyway. I have not communicated with them once and did not know they had purchased it. Moreover, my bank account is not connected to my ebay account so I never received any money. I believe this might be a scam and I really need this rectified. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this because ebay is uncontactable but I thought they had policies against scammers and would want to protect the seller/buyer? Any suggestions let me know, I have been trying to contact them for hours and no result. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Scam in selling on ebay

I am not sure you are fully ready to be trying to sell on ebay.

How could you not know that someone had purchased your item? It would show up in your account section, surely. You need to check this regularly when you have items listed for sale.

A buyer does not need to communicate with you before buying, not if they are buying at the full advertised price. They can just hit the Buy tab and pay without any communication with you whatsoever. That's how I usually buy.

Obviously, if someone makes an offer, you may get a message but even that is not certain as some sellers have their acceptance prices pre set for that too, so it is all automated.

Your main problem is it does not sound as if you are signed up to managed payments. If you want to sell on ebay, you have no choice, you need to sign up for this. Ebay will need your account details if you are ever to receive any money. How else could they transfer it?

And another thing: New sellers or occasional sellers, even when signed up for managed payments, have a 30 day hold on their money. It's a security thing. Once that 30 day hold has passed, then the money is released.

But in the meantime, you as seller would need to send your sold item asap, regardless of not having actually received the money for it. Once you become a regular seller, that 30 day hold disappears.

If someone made an offer, had it rejected but then bought at full price, I doubt it is a scam.

Unless you sort out managed payments though, you will never get the money. The buyer may have paid though and will probably go through ebay to ask for a refund when their item is overdue. Your selling account with ebay will be in trouble if you keep selling things but never sending them or checking on what has sold.

You need to read through the help pages thoroughly before you attempt to sell anything else.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Scam in selling on ebay

eBay are contactable but only during normal business hours

eBay help at the top of every page

BUT ..... If your eBay account is not connected  to your bank account, how do you plan on being paid for items that do sell?

If you have not singed up for Managed Payments and been verified, you will not get any money from anyone 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Scam in selling on ebay

PS. I just looked up your sold item.

$850.

That is a high priced item to start your ebay selling career. I would doubly encourage you to read up about selling & managed payments.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Scam in selling on ebay

Sorry Springy, your reply was'nt showing when I posted mine

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Scam in selling on ebay

You listed an item for sale, it has sold, no scam involved.

Do you have a message from ebay telling you the item has been paid for and to ship the item, if so meet your obligations.   Ship the item and then wait about 30 days for payment from ebay, as per T&C's.   Your bank account being connected correctly to ebay, is not the buyers fault or problem.

Don't like the system, cancel the transaction (you may still be liable for ebays fees), then don't bother selling  until you have some idea of what you are doing.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply