Seller claims item not working but it is?

Hello knowledgable sellers, I am a newish seller that needs some advice please.

I sell Yamaha music keyboards and am a registered Yamaha reseller.  A buyer purchased a keyboard then claimed the USB function did not work and wanted to return.  I sent hime the return labels and he returned at my cost.  I have just received it back and tested the USB function to find it working perfectly.  

I have yet to refund him as I was waiting for the item to return so I could check it.  What do I do now?  Full refund even though it is working perfectly?  Refund minus my return postage?  Or some other option - thanks you in advance.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Send the buyer a message explaining the unit has been tested and is working as it should.

Unless of course it could be an intermittent problem.

Point out any obvious error that many make when using this function if there are any.

Then ask if the buyer would like the unit returned paying the repost cost or would they prefer a refund minus the return fee you outlayed.

In this scenario it is probably a change of mind with a pinch of excuse so it's up to you as to how you proceed.

You shouldnt' really be out of pocket.

And if it's refunded minus return post, then each member is out one postage cost and that's how ebay n PayPal deem it fairest in a dispute.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Seems it really comes down to your word Vs. the buyer's word. How can you prove it is working OK? The buyer just has to say its not working.

Given ebay's favour to buyers I think I can guess who would win the case. I think you have little choice but to refund.

Just my opinion.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Thank you kopenhagen5.  That is the solution I was leaning towards myself.  He said the USB wouldn't register but I have taken a photo of the instrument's LCD screen with the USB attached icon showing, so will send that to him as proof .  It is possible his USB drive was not working or not compatible so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and present him with your suggested options, thanks again.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply