Seller wanting ridiculous proof of faulty item

I purchased a small alarm clock. Problem was that it went through a set of 4 batteries every 2-4 days, so was proving very expensive. I advised the seller, who promptly asked me to 'send a video showing the problem'. I went back and forth a number of times explaining that this was impossible to do, so I asked to send the item back. Then the seller became unhelpful, saying I would not get a refund because I refused to send a video showing the problem! Then, to resolve the matter, the seller offers me a 5% discount against future purchases, I declined, so then he offers 10%! Ended up gettinga full refund, gave negative review, then got hounded to change my review because I had received a refund.

This is the 2nd time this has happened. I bought an item described as 100% linen. When I got it, it was the most revolting cheap polyester. Again, the seller wanted a video of the fault. I sent a photo - but he insisted on a video. Got offered the same stupid 'discount'. The item ended up in the bin, not even op shop, it was so awful.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Confucius say "deal with the devil, end up in hell".

or in other words, buy cheap stuff from China, don't be surprised at cheap stuff.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

The seller you left a neg for about the clock is based in China.

Some Chinese sellers are notorious for stalling tactics and you would have found it very expensive to send a parcel back to China with no way of recouping your return postage. Overseas sellers cannot issue a return label.

The other neg for seller of the linen, whilst based in Australia, has a very poor feedback rating, so that would have been a red flag.

The third neg for the seller of gaming supplies also has a barely acceptable feedback rating, even though it's 98.8%, so it was bound to be a risky purchase.

The rest of your negs seem to be for poorly rated Chinese sellers, so you're really getting what you pay for.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I went through a few more of your negs left for others.

Almost all of them were either Chinese or Australian sellers with poor ratings.

Many of the forum members will tell you that the onus is on the buyer to look at the quality of the sellers feedback before purchasing and most will have little sympathy for your situation.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

I went through a few more of your negs left for others.

Almost all of them were either Chinese or Australian sellers with poor ratings.

Many of the forum members will tell you that the onus is on the buyer to look at the quality of the sellers feedback before purchasing and most will have little sympathy for your situation.

I mean, yes - you definitely get what you pay for - but that doesn't excuse the actions of a bad seller.

OP, don't change your feedback, tell the seller to stop hassling you and if they keep doing so, report them, and be more careful next time. When buying, there are considerations other than price.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I woulda just sent a video of the clock working, then a title card that said "two days later" and then shown the clock not working.  Smiley LOL

These guys are just trying to bait you into giving up, or at the very least, saying something that could qualify any bad feedback you leave for removal - keep things simple, if the seller isn't reasonable and willing to work with you, stop trying to work with them and just go through eBay's channels. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

The only thing to come out of China that's lasted longer than 3 months is COVID.

Seriously, buy from Australia - support Australians and find return processes easier.

Also read up on the things to watch for, as said, it looks like you have searched for sellers with the worts reps.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi4h-PRr_fuA...

@digi  Smiley Very Happy  for the video idea

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

The only thing to come out of China that's lasted longer than 3 months is COVID.

Well, my job came from China, in effect, and that's lasted 10 years so far, lol.

By which I mean my stock is almost exclusively imported from China, and I am continually told by a number of my buyers they prefer to buy from me because of the quality. 

Buy from them, buy from Aussies, doesn't bother me much, but do buy after checking what the seller's rep and / or product reviews are like. 

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Not having a go at anyone who imports into Oz, I imported for over 20 years, Chinese manufacturers making products to our specifications, it was just a joke, no offence meant

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

it was just a joke, no offence meant

It's all good, I know - I wasn't personally offended, but without going into too much detail, I just like balance. Smiley Embarassed Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply