Sellers!! Check your banking institution for International Fees for paying ebay monthly Seller fees!

Hi all,
just a 'heads up' for everyone... My ebay seller fees are paid monthly via Paypal - drawn from my CBA credit card if insufficient paypal funds are available.

I was checking my CBA netbank & noticed that an 'International Fee' of 3% was charged when my seller fees (June) were paid by my credit card. I spoke to the bank and was advised that the reason an International Fee was charged was due to the fact that the payment was processed in OS (Switzerland) by ebay.

I just spoke to ebay help & was told that this is a 'current' problem that is being investigated! First time I've ever been charged an International fee for my AU ebay seller fees drawn on a AU credit card.

Ebay advised me that the fee amount will be credited to my ebay account within the next couple of days.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Sellers!! Check your banking institution for International Fees for paying ebay monthly Seller f

Actually, eBay has always had it's billing address in Bern, Switzerland.

It's been this way since the very first invoice I received years ago.

Obviously something has changed but I'm unsure as to what and it would appear ebay is too.

Normally, your payment setup for billing would be through PayPal Australia which links to your personal bank account and cash transfers do not usually incur O/S transaction fees.

To my knowledge eBay aren't using Adyen for payment processing yet so these fees are something of a mystery.

What do your bank statements disclose?

If the funds are being sent to PayPal there should be no fees involved.

Message 11 of 50
Latest reply

Re: Sellers!! Check your banking institution for International Fees for paying ebay monthly Seller f

According to my Netbank - my previous payment via Paypal for seller fees (May 2018) is shown as:
PAYPAL*EBAYINTERNA +(my 10 digit code) AUS

The 2 payments that attracted the International fees (June & July) are shown as:
PAYPAL *EBAYMARKETP +(my 10 digit code) CHE - which is Switzerland which is the reason for the fees!!

Message 12 of 50
Latest reply

@minimum_56 wrote:

According to my Netbank - my previous payment via Paypal for seller fees (May 2018) is shown as:
PAYPAL*EBAYINTERNA +(my 10 digit code) AUS

The 2 payments that attracted the International fees (June & July) are shown as:
PAYPAL *EBAYMARKETP +(my 10 digit code) CHE - which is Switzerland which is the reason for the fees!!

I find that passing strange as the PayPal we deal with is an Australian entity.

If it wasn't we'd be charged O/S transfer rates for every transaction they processed out of our accounts.

What happens to funds after they've reached paypal should have no relevance to an Aussie bank.

I don't often require funds to be drawn from an account to settle a purchase (or monthly fees) but my partner did recently and no O/S fees applied then.

I can only think that somehow eBay is processing account payments through an O/S PayPal operation instead of the local one.

This looks like a glitch at the eBay end so should be cleared up eventually and at least they are refunding the extra charges.

It certainly doesn't inspire confidence in ebay's plan to become the payment intermediary though.

Message 13 of 50
Latest reply

Additional:

The only advice I can offer is to make sure you have enough funds in your PayPal account to cover eBay monthly fees (at least until this mess gets cleared up).

Fees drawn from PP Australia DO NOT incur any O/S transaction impost according to my PP Statements.

Message 14 of 50
Latest reply

I've just noticed the exact same issue! Chatted with someone, but they really didn't understand what I was asking. Checked with the bank as well and they confirmed that it was eBay's processing in another country. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

Message 15 of 50
Latest reply

Does anyone have a copy of the email they sent?
Message 16 of 50
Latest reply

What I find strange is I pay with paypal with cc card backup with this month being the first to show the charge all year. The statement description was slightly different towards the end than other months but I thought I was tranferring to paypal the short fall in funds. I am guessing it may be a paypal issue. 

Message 17 of 50
Latest reply

i've just noticed this on my credit card statements as well - that when the paypal payment for fees is taken, if there are insufficient funds in the paypal account, an international transaction fee is being charged. i too am with CBA. i'll be hitting up ebay about it also. 

Message 18 of 50
Latest reply

The email from ebay was dated 16/4/2018

Changes to your User Agreement, User Privacy Notice and other eBay Agreements

In 2016, we began the process of realigning our legal structure to better reflect how we manage and operate our platforms.

As a result, starting 1 June 2018, eBay users residing in any country but the USA, Canada and the European Union will begin contracting with eBay Marketplaces GmbH, Helvetiastrasse 15/17, 3005 Bern, Switzerland, for their User Agreement, Billing Agreements, and any other agreements that they might have previously had with eBay International AG.

All affected users will see the above-mentioned eBay company name and address on their invoices, and we will begin collecting your charges in an account held by this eBay entity.You may also see the new eBay entity on your bank statement as well as a comment advising you of the final payment in favour of the old eBay entity and the first payment in favour of the new eBay entity.

While we may make other changes to services and programs over time, you should see no interruption to your service because of these updates, and you will not need to make any changes to your listings. You also do not need to take any action to continue using any payment method you may have on file with eBay, as details of the change will have been supplied to your financial institution, who may also separately notify you. With the transfer of your contractual relationship, eBay Marketplaces GmbH will also take over the automatic payment method you agreed to for the payment of fees and other amounts owed to eBay for using the eBay services. Therefore, amounts owed to eBay will be collected by eBay Marketplaces GmbH through the automatic payment method you have chosen for your payment.

If you are a user residing in Taiwan, Turkey, Norway, Switzerland or Liechtenstein you may be charged VAT on your fees starting 1 August 2018. If we currently charge tax on your invoice, these changes wonโ€™t have an impact to your fees.

As a consequence of the change of your eBay contracting entity, eBay Marketplaces GmbH will also be your new data controller for the purposes of our User Privacy Notice. eBay Marketplaces GmbH will continue to maintain your data in accordance with our global privacy standards, known as our Binding Corporate Rules.

The effective date for these changes will be 1 June 2018 for users residing in any country but the USA, Canada and the European Union. We encourage you to review the new User Agreement, the User Privacy Notice, and your other existing agreements with us. You can also view the old User Agreement that will remain in force until 31 May 2018. If you choose not to accept these updated terms, you can withdraw from the User Agreement by cancelling your eBay account.

Thanks for being a part of the eBay community.

Message 19 of 50
Latest reply

I noticed this since July of this year that I started to get chaged with International Transaction fee....

What I found is that last month I paid manually and I did not get charged with that fee (So far).

I belive this is a cause for FOS to deal with them,

the business we are conductiong is in Australia and the payment method is in Australia we should never have been charged this fee and if that is the case I could locate any reference to advise us of this.

Anyone has lodge any complain about this?

Please let us know I believe every one impacted by this should lodge a complain.

Message 20 of 50
Latest reply