Sellers Feeling Exploited?

5 REPLIES 5

too late now because there is a new gig in town and its called facebook marketplace-that's where the buyers are-no more paypal and no more fees, no more returns after 5 months, no more silly rules and lots and lots of SALES.

even gumtree is better these days

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@bimberiretrosystems wrote:

too late now because there is a new gig in town and its called facebook marketplace-that's where the buyers are-no more paypal and no more fees, no more returns after 5 months, no more silly rules and lots and lots of SALES.

even gumtree is better these days

Quite a lot of buyers are there but it can be a brutal place for sellers.

Buyers don't pay fees on ebay either, although they are often up for postage. But some people prefer anonymity and you pay for postage too anyway on the other sites.

I've watched people list things on FB, only to have lookie lous come on to tell the person their item is garbage and they are asking too much etc

I myself have sold a few things but you get some buyers who just make stupid offers of about 25% the asking price. In fact that happens to most sellers, not just to me.

As for gumtree, I wish with all my heart it worked properly but it doesn't. I've listed some things there that are lucky to get 2 views in a month.

And a lot of sellers, knowing they are going to strike a beating on offers made, pop their asking prices way, way up.

On the whole, I would say sellers probably get a lot more views and chances of selling at a reasonable or good price on ebay, but with that advantage come the fees.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

"'ve watched people list things on FB, only to have lookie lous come on to tell the person their item is garbage and they are asking too much etc

I myself have sold a few things but you get some buyers who just make stupid offers of about 25% the asking price. In fact that happens to most sellers, not just to me."

what you said that's normal and happens here on ebay all the time, except here they  buy the item then scam the seller and get the item for free.  Low offers is a normal thing when selling second hand, or even new online-sold an apple tv on gumtree had one buyer offer 25% the asking price but then one hour later someone comes along and says just what i need will take it no offer or lowbball etc

I don't even know anyone who buys on ebay anymore-My fellow workers said their first port of call is often facebook then gumtree or vice versa-they don't even look at ebay.

A  friend even said to me that ebay is just an old concept leftover from the days of the dinosaurs when it was too hard to find a good central place to sell online or too hard to make your own webpage.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

What about ebid which is supposed to be 2nd to ebay.

There are so many sellers on there but way more window shoppers lol and I don't understand why because not all but most items are cheaper than ebay and the rest.

I purchase alot off ebid and try to help the sellers get a start on there and also gumtree.

And yes FB has always been great.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I think one advantage of ebay over FB is that you can list something and although people can send messages, you don't need to be online 24/7 to answer them.

I think a lot of FB people make an offer or ask a question and expect instant replies. If they don't get it within a couple of hours they can get annoyed, whereas with ebay, as long as you log in once or twice daily, you don't have to be on call 24/7.

Also, payment can be automated through paypal so a seller doesn't need to actually have any contact/discussion with buyers most of the time.

I guess each to their own. I know plenty of people who still buy occasionally from ebay but of course it is just one buying platform out of several. Always worth considering though.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply