Sellers who put barely anything in their descriptions

I have noticed so many clothing sellers just using the brief default blurb in their descriptions, and basically providing no information about their items at all. Some don't even include the size!

I am frustratingly aware of how easy it is these days for buyers to get an automatic refund even if the seller does not provide refunds, simply by lodging an item not as described case.

Sooo...I was wondering, just out of interest, if these sellers are omitting almost all details of their items to avoid having these cases lodged against them. If they don't describe the item, then technically how can a buyer say the item was not as described?

Does that make any sense, or have I just gone even more insane? lol
Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Sellers who put barely anything in their descriptions

I think there was such a thread a couple of years ago.

Today I received a question from a buyer (more than one question, actually). She asked "is it cotton fabric?" In the description I say it's 100% cotton but it's also mentioned twice in the item specifics, so it's mentioned three times. I can only assume that by time she typed her other question she'd forgotten what else the listing said.
Message 51 of 57
Latest reply

WHY CAN NOBODY READ ANYMORE?!?!?

I had someone ask me the other day what the bust measurement was for a top, as "no measurements were mentioned".

At first I thought "Oh no! I forgot to put the measurements in!" But nooo. There they were, clear as day.

HELLO!?!?!?
Message 52 of 57
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:
WHY CAN NOBODY READ ANYMORE?!?!?

I had someone ask me the other day what the bust measurement was for a top, as "no measurements were mentioned".

At first I thought "Oh no! I forgot to put the measurements in!" But nooo. There they were, clear as day.

HELLO!?!?!?

They use their phones and find it too much work to hit the button for description.

They seem to think it's quicker to type out a message than do one click.

I've had people ask me if a book is a trade paperback. Unless they don't know the dimensions of a standard paperback (which it is invariably is) then they have no excuse. I just answer them. It's not a biggie and those who ask for information that is already in the listing rarely buy anyway.

Message 53 of 57
Latest reply

Around half the traffic - if not more - on eBay is from mobile devices. Descriptions are not visible in the listings when viewing through the app - there's a link, but even that is not as visible as the "ask question" link, so the more info you can pack into the title and first gallery image, the better.

There will always be those who message despite the details they're asking about either clearly visible in the photo, and / or being written in the first few keywords.

sigh

Message 54 of 57
Latest reply

Did the same mistake once, I bought what I thought was an LED blacklight (as in, a small torch with ultra-violet LEDs), instead, I literally got a LED light that was painted black (as opposed to being red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple, pink...), the same small torch you get in $2 shops.

Got a refund and got to keep the light, and the seller (from China of course) updated their page because they apparently didn't know that "LED blacklight" doesn't mean a black-painted light with super-bright white LEDs! Ended up coughing up $15 for an LED UV light at Jaycar instead because I couldn't be bothered waiting another three weeks - at least the Jaycar one has a lens on it so you can focus the beam, unlike the plain 8 or so LEDs of the cheap $3 one I thought I was buying.
Message 55 of 57
Latest reply

A new thread for that would be great. I once (quite a few years back) listed 2 old zippo lighters. They were in poor shape were worth saving I thought, so I thought I would have a bit of fun with the listing. Instead of highlighting the good points, I did the exact opposite and although I can't remember it word for word, something along the lines of "....if you're looking for good quality lighters, these are NOT for you. Perfect to throw on the back of the ute and if they come off, it wouldn't matter......" There was more but anyway the result? Sold within hours ๐Ÿ˜‚

Message 56 of 57
Latest reply

At least you educated the seller which is a good result for their future prospective buyers ๐Ÿ‘

Message 57 of 57
Latest reply