Selling Electrical Goods

Hi,

I sell small electrical products that i import from China, i have a C-Tick certificate from my supplier and as part of that certificate it states that the power supply meets australian standards.

Is there any other legal obligations when it comes to testing of the products?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Selling Electrical Goods

*Correction: If I sell, have been selling products other people have been importing so far, but believe if i import directly, there's extra profit to be made

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Selling Electrical Goods

If you are importing from China you will have to be very careful. A consumer program here n the UK did an investigation after a couple of deaths caused by faulty electrical goods imported from Chna. They went out ther osing as buyers and they had hidden cameras which clearly showed all thes well below safety standard plugs, leads etc next to anything needed to male them look genuine, kite marks, CE marks etc for any country that required any form of safety certification. These were made in the next door factory.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Selling Electrical Goods

A C-Tick from the supplier, especially if a Chinese supplier, is somewhat of a concern.

If you are genuinely interested in ensuring that the items are up to strict Australian regulations I suggest you get them tested here in Australia.

Companies such as Austest, just Google for others, will make sure the items are safe otherwise you may find yourself legally liable for damage or even possible death caused by supplying illegal electrical products.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Selling Electrical Goods

Thanks mate, it was a copy of their c-tick approval certificate granted by the main authority in Australia to that company, not an overseas dodgy c-tick company

Will look in to aus test as well, cheers
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Selling Electrical Goods

If it was a copy of the Australian C-tick then you should be worried.   China is well known for faking everything and anything.

As far as I am aware the Australian certification can only be attached to items once they are in Australia and have been tested here.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Selling Electrical Goods

That was my concern called up the regulatory authority here in melb and they confirmed the certificate number was issued to that company
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Selling Electrical Goods

Every product line technically is meant to be put in for Australian standards and safety certifications.

(Probably find a large amount of products now sold in Aus do not have the full certifications,

Hence you can use the sourced from wholesaler defense if it comes up a problem.

It becomes the importers problem. and or get some really good importers business insurance,

which still doesnt fully cover you if your products get inspected n found non compliant.)

Highly doubt anything we can import ourselves as sellers has that full certifications.

Often factory overruns or reruns of genuine certified goods.

Costs a fair wack n time to get the certifications done.

At the speed new products are being created n sold around the world,

a fair bet would be 50% not fully certified.

Only 1, the C-Tick for power plugs and electrical safety construction,

is the primary certificate of concern. Cause it can kill.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply