Selling a large and expensive item internationally, what are the traps.

Selling a large and expensive item internationally, I'm thinking I will I request them (Brazil) to employ an Australian cargo agent.

Does anyone have better suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I would be looking at an Escrow service if it is in the thousands. Never used one but would be the safest option for both parties. Look for one that handles everything so all you need to do is drop it off. 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for your help, I'm not entirely sure I would even accept a Escrow trade especially into Brazil.

I cannot help but imagine somehow losing the item, and then not getting paid.

The item is around $7000 and 300 kg, so it's definitely a sea freight type of trade.

I think I will suggest to the potential buyer, only after paid in full to my account will it be allowed to leave the factory.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Check the prospective buyers feedback, and do as much backgrounding as you can.  If it is a new ebay account or has next to no feedback, then I would be wary.

Have only sold a few items to Brazil, and have not been caught out YET!   But have had a couple of overdue deliveries.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

If you are using surface mail then you are on your own.  Neither ebay or paypal protection covers surface delivery as it is way outside their timeframes.

There is a good chance the buyer knows that and will open a dispute long before the item arrives and you will lose your money and item.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Sounds like you're on a hiding to nowhere with this.  Personally I would'nt do it.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

It is always easier for the seller to organise freight than a buyer. Seting up an escrow is just a matter of setting the terms of sale and giving the buyer a chance to inspect the item when it arrives then you get paid. If buyer changes their mind they are up for costs sending it back.

I gather it is already pallitised so all you need is a freight forwarder to get it there and an escrow payment set up to hold the funds till both parties are satisfied with the transaction. 

If it is only 300kg air freight would get you paid a lot quicker. Pack & Send is an easy option but pricey.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply