Selling item on ebay that is advertised on another website, sold it twice..

Oops.    I have had a fridge advertised on another website and also on ebay with a buy in now price or make an offer.

Of course after having no one show any interest for over a week I've had 2 people interested in an hour.

First one rang and said they will come tomorrow and pick up, 2nd person 1 hour later bought it off ebay for full price.

I didn't  mention that the item was advertised on another website in my ebay ad.   I've sent the 2nd person

a message letting them know that someone is coming tomorrow and if they don't turn up they can have it.

Am I up for ebay fees?  I'm obviously not a experienced seller.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Selling item on ebay that is advertised on another website, sold it twice..

Technically you haven't entered into a contract with the buyer from the other site as such. If you told 3 people who called to come take a look and all 3 showed up at the same time, who's right and who's wrong?

As a seller you want to get the best price for your item, however once you commit, thats it. Whether it be via ebay or elsewhere. If you told the caller that they should call first to check if it was still available before turning up, then the ebay buyer should get first option. If you told the phone in they could have it, you would hold it etc, then you are in a pickle.

I think it dictates selling to the ebay buyer.

I do agree there are a lot of ones who say its advertised elsewhere. But what can you do.

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Selling item on ebay that is advertised on another website, sold it twice..

I look at it this way.

Person number 1 has agreed to come to pick up the item but in reality, if they arrive and don't like it, they have the option of walking away and just not buying.

Person number 2, on the other hand, has made a firm commitment to buy. They haven't even submitted an offer, they have paid the full price up front, which means they really want it.

You owe it to the ebay person, explain to person number 1 it was sold.

To be honest, if someone did this to me after I bought via buy it now, I would not let them off with a cancellation, I would give them a negative. Bad form.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply