Selling item on ebay that is advertised on another website, sold it twice..

Oops.    I have had a fridge advertised on another website and also on ebay with a buy in now price or make an offer.

Of course after having no one show any interest for over a week I've had 2 people interested in an hour.

First one rang and said they will come tomorrow and pick up, 2nd person 1 hour later bought it off ebay for full price.

I didn't  mention that the item was advertised on another website in my ebay ad.   I've sent the 2nd person

a message letting them know that someone is coming tomorrow and if they don't turn up they can have it.

Am I up for ebay fees?  I'm obviously not a experienced seller.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You sold it on eBay. You have committed to sell it to the eBay buyer.

You will need to pay the fees.

Also, for next time, it is against eBay policy to have anything listed here for sale somewhere else.

Stating that in a listing makes no difference, it's the policy.

It's a strict no-no.

If the eBay buyer is very nice and understanding, you can ask them to agree to a mutual cancellation request, that you would then start the process on as the seller. If they agree then you get your fees back for the sale...as it is cancelled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

So if the phone buyer doesn't pick it up, you're in the clear 🙂

But just know that you can cancel the transaction with the eBay buyer to get back the fees, but only if they agree.

If they don't, you still pay the fees.

If they don't respond after seven days, you can close the cancel case and get your fees.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

"To cancel a transaction, both you and the buyer need to agree on the cancellation or you won't receive a final value fee credit.

To cancel a transaction, open a case in the Resolution Centre. A few important notes:

The buyer has up to 7 days to respond to your case. To receive a final value fee credit, the buyer must agree to cancel the transaction. If you haven't received a response after 7 days, close the case and you'll receive a final value fee credit.
You need to close your case within 60 days after the sale. After 60 days, if you haven't closed your case, eBay automatically closes it and you won't receive a final value fee credit.
After you've closed your case you'll receive a final value fee credit within 7 to 10 business days."

So to get that rolling if you need to, if phone buyer shows up, ask the eBay buyer if they're OK with agreeing to cancel, then go to the Resolution Centre 🙂

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for the info amber eyed girl.    I've seen on many listings where an item is listed elsewhere it says something that the seller has the right to withdraw item from auction.  Will know next time.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, I know...a seller can end a listing, depending on the timing and bids etc., ...but they're not meant to have it listed elsewhere.

Good luck 🙂

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Being as you called it "an inexperienced seller" does not constitute a defence for willing breaking ebay rules. You agreed to the rules when you signed up. You need to tell the phone buyer that you can not sell to them and that an ebay bidder has won the item. Failure to sell to the ebay winner would mean you are selling outside of ebay and therefore avoiding ebay fees. I hope someone doesnt report you for this.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

Oops.    I have had a fridge advertised on another website and also on ebay with a buy in now price or make an offer.

Of course after having no one show any interest for over a week I've had 2 people interested in an hour.

First one rang and said they will come tomorrow and pick up, 2nd person 1 hour later bought it off ebay for full price.

I didn't  mention that the item was advertised on another website in my ebay ad.   I've sent the 2nd person

a message letting them know that someone is coming tomorrow and if they don't turn up they can have it.

Am I up for ebay fees?  I'm obviously not a experienced seller.

You have actually formed contracts with both parties.

Both parties can, if they choose hold you to the contract.

You really need to explain the situation to both parties and hope they uinderstand.

I don't know where the other advertisement was, but if it isn't on a platform like eBay where you can get a neg or some other form of reputaion deficit, I'd be leaning towards accomodating the eBay buyer first.

Of course this doesn't mean the other buyer can't attempt to have you honour their contract, but as far as online reputation, my first step would be to protect the reputation most important to you.

The one on eBay or the one on the other platform?

Unless you have two items, you are going to have to dissolve the contract with one of them. Hopefully this can be by mutual agreement, but either one of them is legally permitted to force performance.

Best of luck, I hope the outcome is good for you!

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

The fridge has been sold on eBay.

The seller will have to pay the fees.

There may, or may not be a fee credit. That will depend entirely on the eBay buyer.

Tulip*place, at the bottom of the page there is a link called site map.

Have a look at the selling sections 🙂

D-halo, yes, the seller has put themselves into a pickle, and formed two contracts.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Not all contracts have to be in writing to be enforceable.

Only land, finance and deeds have to be in writing, any others can be formed either verbally or by performance.

No signature required

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply