Selling on ebay - 15 Years - My Story

Dear sellers,

Just had a quick read of some of selling experience story's as part of the recent e-bay 20 year publicity.

I haven't been selling on e-bay for quit 20 years, but I can share my story of the last 15 years.

Ebay in the early days was fun and exciting, it opened up selling opportunity's within Australia but also other parts of the globe (mainly the US in the early days). 

Sure technology challenges seemed to be prevalent back then, especially with dial-up Internet, slow upload speeds, expensive digital cameras and frequent virus attacks.

One of the stand out features in the early years was that most people you dealt with were polite, friendly and even patient (and often exchanged e-mails from other buyer/sellers from other countries). Buyers seemed to be understanding that you had to patient with the postal system.

The main forms of payment received from buyers were cash....yes cash (posted disguised in a brochure or similar), Aust post money order or bank deposit transfer. Payment from overseas buyers (remember most international business was with the US) was in US cash sent through the post..

Before paymate and paypal came into play this form of payment was actually endorsed by e-bay and worked very well with 100% of all my US payments being received successfully. It was only when e-bay and paypal joined together that that it was decided that this method of payment was no longer considered appropriate and also swaying us awy from bank transfers!!!

We had the freedom to choose in the early days of paypal to use it or not (many sellers preferring bank deposit in order to avoid the high paypal fees. Unlike today were it is a requirement.

The first year of e-bay in Australia it was 100% free to list and the fvf was very modest. No seller restrictions applied including limits or holding payments unlike today.

Ebay back then was very much a "community" with majority of sellers being individuals clearing unwanted goods or dealing in treasures sourced from local secondhand markets or garage sales. Unlike today where the small time seller are being pushed aside in favour of the big retail corporations $ or flooded with Chinese made items

If a buyer refused to pay for an item that they bid/won or changed mind etc,  then this could be shared with the rest of the ebay community through leaving a negative or neutral feedback comment. Unlike today where only buyers have the freedom of leaving a negative or neutral feedback.

For me, the early days of ebay were enjoyable due to the freedom that sellers had and particularly the lack of restrictions placed on us by ebay. 

Although I occasionally sell items on ebay, I am not selling no where as much as I was 8-15 years previously. In short ebay has become way to restrictive and expensive for the small time seller (aka mum and dad, hobby / casual sellers).

Somehow I don't expect ebay will be contacting me to do a "fluff" piece on My Story.....

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Remember when "simon" from Ebay used to answer members questions on the boards and look into complaints..That changed into a string of "pinks" (staff) doing it, now there is no Ebay imput. Even using contact ebay you can't get a proper answer

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

It was only when e-bay and paypal joined together that that it was decided that this method of payment was no longer considered appropriate and also swaying us awy from bank transfers!!!

Ebay and Paypal were separate entities for many years before ebay bought the company. The only reason Paypal was not widely used in Australia was because there was no Paypal company in Australia.  When I first started selling on ebay in the UK Paypal and personal cheques were the mot prevalent payment methods with far the largest number being Paypal transactions, hardly anyone used bank transfer for ebay or anything else. I opened an account the first day it was possible in Australia.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

qball28
Community Member

I've been here 15 years too.😄

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I am just a Johnny Come Lately with only 13 years on this ID but my selling ID is 14.5 years, and I actually had another which was older which I used on eBay (US) before it came to Australia. 

I remember fondly when there were no stores and Auctions could be started at $0.99 at you didn't have to worry about getting a descent price ( and if worried you could set a reserve), it was more how big would your profit be.  I even felt embarrassed about how much some people were bidding (Well for about 30 seconds anyhow).

Yes and cash was king, it was great getting US dollars I still have a US$1 note from one of my earliest sales.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

Ive been on Ebay for 17 years, because I joined up when I lived in NYC.

In the U.S.A,  I dont ever remember anyone using cash at all - definitely not sending cash through the mail, not to me anyway.  It was almost all Bank deposit, and occassionally cheques and cash transfer services like Western Union.

On return to Australia, I found it was the same. No one sent money through the mail, not for my items anyway - but maybe because they were more expensive (laptops etc). It was all bank deposits, occassionally a cheque.  I would have to wait to receive the cheque, wait until it clears, and then post the item... sometimes took 2 or 3 weeks.

In the U.S,  Listings were frequently listed for $1 - $10, with astronomical postage prices. It was just the norm to avoid the fees. And not paying for an item was much more common than it is now.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Another one who has been here for 15 years. Joined in Feb 2000.

It has changed so much - some good, most bad.

My biggest gripe was when they stopped digital delivery. I really could use it now to deliver stamp albums on CD.

My second biggest gripe was when positive feedback was deleted for sellers; I stuck with it for a while but haven't left feedback for items I sell for over six months, still leave it for things I buy but always positive.

Another gripe was the stupid defect system which I believe was introduced to get rid of small sellers.

Still selling on EBay but have my own web-site as well. This is the best protection I can think of.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

My biggest gripe was when they stopped digital delivery. I really could use it now to deliver stamp albums on CD.

You can still list for digital delivery on the US site with delivery to Aus and you can certainly list in Aus to deliver them on CD for the buyer to print out..

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

the best and greatest auction site for me was

sold.com.au

it was run by australians for australians

then ebay came and bought them out

that was the end for sold .com.au

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply