parcel and dangerous good declaration

tcrazer
Community Member

I need to send a <500gm parcel from melbourne to QLD and I'm sticking on my own stamps rather than buying prepaid or using click n send. Is there a dangerous goods declaration form that i can print out and stick on so that it's transportable by air?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

saarzi
Community Member

i send <500gm parcels all over the country and always use my own stamps. Ive never had to sign a declaration. The toughbags / parcels that you get from the post office have a declaration on the box, but I regularly use my own packaging with no signature and never had an issue ... so I assume they still go by air.

either way, no difference at all in postage time.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I've never had any problems with Parcel Post - if the package has no signature it still seems to arrive without any issues (maybe they are sending it by truck instead, as odd as it sounds going from VIC to QLD). The only time I sign things is if I end up using an Australia Post mailing box which has the signature area on the bottom, or if I send things overseas, which requires a signature no matter what.
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

My understanding is, no signature, it goes by road. I'm in NSW and over last Christmas, nearly everything interstate (except Vic) the machine at the PO spat out a ticket to sign that it was safe to go by air. The rest of the time it spits one out for far north Queensland, some rural areas in the northern half of Qld, the northern parts of NT and the very north of WA.

As the PO doesn't know what's in the parcel, they are not going to send by air because they don't know if the contents contain lithium batteries, or some other kind of restricted road only product. The machine at the PO spits it out automatically, but you can also ask for one when you're paying for your parcel. A few weeks ago the machine spat out a ticket for an item to go to Cairns, but not for Mackay. I made comment of it and she pulled one out of the drawer for me to sign and stuck it on the Mackay parcel.

She said there is still no guarantee the items will be sent by air, but the option is there if the declaration is signed.

By using your own stamps, does that mean you are sending untracked? Not sure with all the shoplifters these days I'd be sending parcels untracked!

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply