Selling used books on eBay

exprmntl
Community Member

Hey everyone,

I've just started on eBay and I chose what seemed to be the easiest path for me to sell. Which is books. Turns out that heaps of the books I'm listing aren't being sold by anyone else on eBay. After some lovely you tubing, it seems as if I've taken the wrong approach to eBay and I'm just listing heaps of products with no demand. Problem being that I have just bought hundreds of random used books that are taking up heaps of room at my place.

So my questions are:

Have I taken the wrong approach to eBay?

How can I figure out which of my books will sell so I don't waste time making dud listings?

What approach could I take to realign my store and become successful? (I'm quite ambitious and would want to start this asap)

On top of all of this, I have started buying items on Lloyds auctions in my country, and I've also ordered some products from china to sell. My biggest two issues to figure out at the moment is Sourcing and shipping.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

OP, you will have to be patient with books. Doing some research on sold items is a good start. It’s not necessarily bad that you want to sell books that no one else is selling - but the proof will be in the pudding. It costs nothing simply to list, so you might as well give it a try.

Ditch the store, though. You can sell without the ongoing subscription fee of a store. Unless you can see it’s worth it, that store is a deadweight around your ankle.

Re the rest of your post, I cannot see other sellers giving you information sourcing goods. That’s just not reasonable.

Re shipping, do you mean shipping TO you from your current suppliers? Or do you mean postage to buyers?

Re getting products from China, I’ll be frank. I don’t want rubbish stuff from China. If I did, I’d buy it directly from China. I don’t want electrical items that aren’t made to Australian safety standards and that don’t have warranty. And so on… There are plenty of other buyers who have a similar stance, but to ce fair, there are plenty of Australian buyers who don’t mind and who will simply go for the cheapest price.

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

There is just one word for it,  yes you may be ambitious,   but you must do Research, research and more research.

Just looking at some of your prices on a couple of books I could be interested in,  they are high.

Also I strongly disagree with the sweeping statement by countess re products from china,  heaps and heaps of products in Australia, even from bricks and mortar, and quality stores,  are from china,  my store is full of china stuff,  but I have selectively chosen the products for quality and what the buyer wants.   Again research, research and more research.

Just opening a store on Ebay and thinking you can buy (any) product is no guarantee of success,  there is a magical word, research.

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

Selling on ebay is quite simple and most things are taken care of automatically when it comes to the sales side. Unfortunately as you are starting to find out the hard part is finding items to sell that do have a good sell through rate and you can buy them at a price that leaves enough to make some profit.

Best advice I can give is to study the sold lists for items you want to sell and if no one else is selling them it may be due to no one is looking for them. 

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

Best advice I can give is to study the sold lists for items you want to sell and if no one else is selling them it may be due to no one is looking for them. 

Still trying to figure this one out. lol

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Seems alright too me but then I wrote it.

Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

I sell books.

I don't recognise most of yours, but those I do seem to be priced a tad high.

Books take time. I recently sold a couple of books I have had listed for over a decade. I rarely sell any in the first month they are listed. Normally it will take 6-12 months to make a sale.

If you are going to sell books, as said you need to research. Pricing wise, if they are not on eBay check other sites. Accurately describe, don't call it a first edition if it a publisher's first edition. Make note of any flaws - better to claim a lower condition than a higher.

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

@brickworksmarket wrote:

Still trying to figure this one out. lol

I'm confused by that one as well,  I would have thought the best items to sell would be ones no one else does.

In fact a couple of mine, I'm the only seller on Ebay, a definite advantage

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

Please dont think you are going to become a millionaire overnight.  That is not going to happen.

No seller is going to tell you what sells and what doesn't.  My suggestion is to get rid of the store and just list a few unwanted items from around the house.  As they say some "one man's trash is another man's treasure."  It is not all just fun and games.

Your book prices seem a bit off to me.  I wouldn't just go buy hundreds not knowing what you are getting.   You need to do your research as said.  Davewil has sold them for a long time and knows what he is doing.  Listen to what he has said.

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

My suggestion is to get rid of the store and just list a few unwanted items from around the house.  As they say some "one man's trash is another man's treasure."  It is not all just fun and games.

So you are really suggesting no one should try to make a meaningful business from Ebay.   It should just be a platform for selling ''trash''.  I don't think OP said they wanted to be a millionaire,  but there are definitely opportunities with the right research and business process to make some serious money, not just selling ''trash''.  OP can make a serios go of this, if they approach it in the correct way.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply