Sending an offer to interested buyers

A couple of times lately I have had sellers send me an offer for items I have placed on my watch list. From an old thread I found that this was possible if you ask the seller a question, but I am sure this wasn't the case with at least one of the items I was sent an offer on. I just placed it on my watch list. 

I have several watchers on a number of items and in order to get things moving, would like to send an offer to those who are watching. How do I access this?  (and I don't have 'make an offer' enabled on any listings)

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Sending an offer to interested buyers

1. Open your eBay App and navigate to the Selling tab.
  2. Click on the “Send offer” button.
  3. Enter the amount (per item), please note you have to discount at least 5%.
  4. Include a nice message honoring that you are giving a discount.
  5. Review & Press Send Offer.

Ths was all I could find

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply. I don't actually use the app, but your suggestion made me look further and found 'send offer' under the 'edit' button on my listing in the seller hub.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

@gumleaf_goodies wrote:

A couple of times lately I have had sellers send me an offer for items I have placed on my watch list. ....

Just an aside on this part of your message. In 2016 I sold a book for about $30. The buyer picked it up and gleefully told me he sold books and was so glad to have got this at a bargain price. Not a subtle person. So naturally I searched for the book and yep, next day listed for $145. So I put the book on my watch list, curious to see how much it got resold for  - needless to say, when I recently received an offer from the seller to buy it at $120 it was declined.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I had an unsolicited offer a couple of months ago for $50, on a $300 item. They don't sell on eBay, but use the same ID to sell on other sites. It is a rare book and they seem to have a copy, listed for $800.

I countered with $250, and an observation that they were a tad optimistic. Crickets. It would seem $550 wasn't enough profit for them.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

(not specifiaclly aimed at you Dave)

I reduced the price of an item with 4 watchers by 15% - no takers.

Was rather hoping it might kickstart sales as I haven't had a sale all week.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

When I was researching a book I wanted to sell, I found exactly the same one listed by another seller, and he was asking $100, plus $13.50 postage. I thought that was a tad high for what it was, so emailed him to check he had the price correct and if so, why so high? . His reply was that it was a VERY rare book. I don't think it could have been, as I had the exact same one (same publisher, date.etc). . 

So when I listed mine I put a price far below his and it didn't sell - neither did his. I kept lowering the price ( it is now listed for $10 with $3.60 postage - it's not a big book) and has now been listed for 6 months - a few views but no watchers.

Needless to say, his hasn't sold either. Still $100 plus $13.50 postage.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

joz15au
Community Member
I have occasionally made an offer to watchers in my store account but I don't think any have ever been accepted (usually offer around 20% off). I would then end the listings and after a couple of weeks 'sell similar' at higher than the original price and they would often then sell, go figure! I don't bother making offers anymore though. My prices are pretty fair as they are and if the watchers are really interested they will buy at that price. I don't get too excited about watchers as it seems that's all they do, most of them anyway.
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@joz15au wrote:
I have occasionally made an offer to watchers in my store account but I don't think any have ever been accepted (usually offer around 20% off). I would then end the listings and after a couple of weeks 'sell similar' at higher than the original price and they would often then sell, go figure! I don't bother making offers anymore though. My prices are pretty fair as they are and if the watchers are really interested they will buy at that price. I don't get too excited about watchers as it seems that's all they do, most of them anyway.

I would then end the listings and after a couple of weeks 'sell similar' at higher than the original price and they would often then sell, go figure!

Interesting - think I will try that for those items I don't want to reduce in price (which I believe are very fair anyway), but have/had half a dozen watchers for a while.

I don't get too excited about watchers as it seems that's all they do, most of them anyway.

I tend to agree.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I sold a book last week for $170. That was on the low side of what it's worth and I had it listed for 9 years. With rare books, you have to wait for the buyer looking for it.

The other seller might be overpriced, but you might well be underpriced. If a potential buyer sees a book listed at well under value, they might assume that it's not the book they're after.

I have bought a $50 book from an eBay seller for $16 and sold it for the actual value.

Maybe I need to look at your books.

There are plenty of resources out there to determine what a book is worth. eBay isn't necessarily the bible on values. Think bookfinder or addall.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply