She damaged a designer gown and now wants a refund....

ackj4
Community Member

I don't usually post on these boards but I am just so angry I have to vent.

I have bought and sold quite a bit on eBay over the years. Particularly designer dresses that I only ever wear for functions once. So I recently sold a Lisa Ho gown, which was beautiful, for $120. An absolute bargain.

The buyer paid, I sent it. The day I sent it I received an email from the buyer asking if she would receive it by the weekend because she wanted to, and I quote "show it off to her friends".

Anyway a few days later a receive an email telling me that I had misrepresented the dress in the listing as it has at least 20 holes in it! Including a couple of very large ones!

Now I know the dress had no holes in it when I sent it. 2 other people looked it over before I listed it. Not only that, I wore it once for a few hours, had it dry cleaned and then stored in a vacuum sealed bag. I am 100% positive there was nothing wrong with this dress.

I asked for photo's and she returned some saying, and again I quote "it looks like someone has put their foot through it". And she's right. It does. But it certainly wasn't my foot.

I am so irritated. I did some searching and it looks as though eBay always side with the buyer in cases like this. Especially seeing as I don't have photos of every inch of it. So it's her word against mine.

Has this happened to anyone else? And what advice would you give?

I feel as though I have little choice but to offer her a refund - for a dress that is now worthless. I could cry.

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: She damaged a designer gown and now wants a refund....

Um the original questions were:

Has this happened to anyone else? And what advice would you give?

The question wasn't "What is the PayPal process"

If it was I would have given a textbook answer on the process, no problem.

I answered the questions asked. Gave my advise from personal experience. 

If you have a problem with that, then that's your issue. I don't care whether you think I'm right or wrong. Your opinion makes no difference to the outcome of my PayPal cases. I won.

IMHO my post is not "misleading" as I have NEVER responded via messages. PayPal have told me that the initial messages are just communication between the buyer and seller. PayPal told me that only AFTER the case has been escalated to a claim and you check the box saying that you will provide truthful information does PayPal take notice of the communication. Again this information is from my personal communication with PayPal and what they told me on the phone.

What is the point of a "discussion" board if no one is allowed to "discuss" their experience, are told they are wrong and that they don't know what they are talking about?

This is only my first night on here and I'm already thinking, why bother? Obviously there are already enough people on here that know everything.

Good luck everyone.

Message 31 of 48
Latest reply

I got the same info from PayPal. I deal with cases the same way.

Hahaha I know exactly how you feel. Don't worry about it. Your not wrong, you gave your advise from your personal experience and it worked for you (it also worked for me)

Good night all x

Message 32 of 48
Latest reply

I am sorry if my challenging of some of the information you posted about paypal upsets you.

My advice and comments have been made for the benefit of the OP as there is $120 at stake for them and the paypal process may well determine if they have to give a refund or not, so IMO having a clear understanding of how it works would put the OP in the best postition they can be in.

You too appear to have the OPs best interests in mind.

We each have opinions and they differ.

Message 33 of 48
Latest reply

We are not talking about processes. I agree with your proccesses but why go through that when you don't need to???

I think your missing the point. Before doing anything call PayPal. This has nothing to do with the processes and really the processes do not matter at that point. If you call PayPal they can (and have done) side with you before you even respond to the initial claim. I have had them side with me on the phone and the case has been closed (while I am on the phone!)

Obviously this is a fantastic option to try BEFORE wasting time worring about PayPal messages. If the phone call doesn't help then follow the PayPal process. (Hopefully you won't have to)

Personal experience shows that this works. I have messaged MissBrown1978 and she has said the exact same thing, the cases have been closed over the phone (no case to answer)

Anyway if you think going through the process first is best so be it, good luck with that. I'm not going to waste any more time arguing when my case (which was very similar to this one where a dress was claimed to be ripped) was closed with one phone call. No case to answer and funds were returned to my PayPal account before I had even hung up the phone.

Message 34 of 48
Latest reply

Sorry I missed the last part of your message.

Yes it would appear that we do. I fully support going through the process that you have stated. Absolutely, 100% correct if calling them first does not get you anywhere.

I don't think the comment

"it appears that you do not understand how the paypal dispute console and how escalating a case for paypal decision works" 

was called for though. Just because someone else has done something different (and it worked for them) doesn't mean they are wrong or don't understand.

Anyways I like your solid knowledge of PayPal systems, it's just good to think out of the square sometimes.

Message 35 of 48
Latest reply

Well my comment got your attention, and further discussion and clarification occurred... so it was successful from my perspective

I like others that think outside the square very much  Cat Happy

Message 36 of 48
Latest reply

missbrown1978 wrote:

We are not talking about processes. I agree with your proccesses but why go through that when you don't need to???

I think your missing the point. Before doing anything call PayPal. This has nothing to do with the processes and really the processes do not matter at that point. If you call PayPal they can (and have done) side with you before you even respond to the initial claim. I have had them side with me on the phone and the case has been closed (while I am on the phone!)

Obviously this is a fantastic option to try BEFORE wasting time worring about PayPal messages. If the phone call doesn't help then follow the PayPal process. (Hopefully you won't have to)

Personal experience shows that this works. I have messaged MissBrown1978 and she has said the exact same thing, the cases have been closed over the phone (no case to answer)

Anyway if you think going through the process first is best so be it, good luck with that. I'm not going to waste any more time arguing when my case (which was very similar to this one where a dress was claimed to be ripped) was closed with one phone call. No case to answer and funds were returned to my PayPal account before I had even hung up the phone.

This is ?? 

Message 37 of 48
Latest reply

@missbrown1978 wrote:

Sorry clarification on my post.

I did contact PayPal before the jacket was returned. They said that the were siding with the buyer as the buyer had no reason to make it up as they had to cover costs of returning the jacket.

I requested a review of their decision after the jacket was returned as there was no stain. I still lost as they said I could still re-sell the jacket and make up my costs.

so should the OP beiieve this or not ???

Message 38 of 48
Latest reply

@lithium78 wrote:

As a seller that has been through this process many times  I completely agree with MissBrown1978. It really makes no difference what you write in the PayPal case, All that matters is what the person assigned to the case thinks. You are always better off to call PayPal. I have never had a case go against me yet. I always call PayPal, I never respond via message beause as PayPal will tell you your message is only between the buyer and seller. PayPal really don't care. Make sure you phone them! Convince them on the phone you are right and the case will always go your way.

Sister of MissBrown should the OP believe this or not ?

Message 39 of 48
Latest reply

On a darker note,all those negs she left for 4 or 5 different sellers on the lithium buyer ID on the 11th of July,did she get refunds before re-listing them on the missbrown ID?

That's very bad luck to get so many bad sellers with damaged items in one day.Quite a few before that too.

Hmmm,interesting enough to make my list.

Message 40 of 48
Latest reply