Shipping after stating "local pick up only"

Hi Folks.
I have an unsold item listed as "pick up only." However a potential buyer has convienced me to ship it after all. Can I just ship the item after the sale to this guy and give ebay the tracking details (assuming I absorb the shipping costs) or should I revise the add to include the shipping option before the sale and hope this guy gets in first? Which is the safer method for me in terms of ebay tracking the item?
Thanks for any help,
Greg.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Best to revise the listing with the postage costs and have everything go through eBay checkout.

But if it's the camera lens, these are one of the items that attracts the most scammers.

I would only send this to the address in PayPal and via tracked with signature postage.

Also provided it nots going to a suspicious country or address.

The more I think about it be very careful and don't get too excited yet about a sale.

So many things can go wrong if it's a hijacked eBay account.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I wouldn't be absorbing shipping costs, especially as signature on delivery and, possibly, insurance should be purchased. I would also be adding enough to cover the time and materials needed to securely package it. And I definitely would NOT be sending it overseas.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Best to revise the listing with the postage costs and have everything go through eBay checkout.

But if it's the camera lens, these are one of the items that attracts the most scammers.

I would only send this to the address in PayPal and via tracked with signature postage.

Also provided it nots going to a suspicious country or address.

The more I think about it be very careful and don't get too excited yet about a sale.

So many things can go wrong if it's a hijacked eBay account.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I wouldn't be absorbing shipping costs, especially as signature on delivery and, possibly, insurance should be purchased. I would also be adding enough to cover the time and materials needed to securely package it. And I definitely would NOT be sending it overseas.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Ok guys thanks for the advice.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I totally agree with the others, add shipping to the listing so that you can charge for the shipping costs and materials. Having someone else snipe the sale is possible, but unlikely if you have been communicating with the buyer.

However, I just wanted to note for other readers that you can still add shipping information -including tracking details- to a completed sale in the sales record, even on a pickup only sale. This can also be useful if a customer was going to pick up, but can't anymore.

Also, a buyer can purchase an item, and if they have not paid for it, you can send them an invoice that has a shipping charge added so they can pay for both.

If they have already paid though, you are kinda stuck. Technically you can't have a listing that has no physical item (such as game accounts, or download codes), and shipping could be interpreted as intangiable. You also can't conduct business outside ebay, so you can't just have them deposit the shipping charge into your account, or pay direct through paypal. If I was in this situation, I would probably list the box I am going to send it in as an item and sell that.

Having said that' it's still easier to just add shipping to the listing before they buy.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@gbinozland,

I echo all that's been said here โ€“ in particular โonly send this to the address in PayPal and via tracked with signature postage.

Also provided it nots going to a suspicious country or address - -try or address - address - dress - ess - ssโž and โwouldn't be absorbing shipping costs, especially as signature on delivery and, possibly, insurance [...] definitely would NOT be sending it overseas - it overseas - overseas - erseas - seas - eas - zโž โ†œ๐Ÿ•ฌ๐Ÿ—ฉโˆฟ๐Ÿ” โˆฟ๐Ÿ—ซ (echo effect)

Yodelling - echoing

An updated invoice can be sent (as purplemon has said), as per this Sending invoices to buyers page. (There are times when the invoice cannot be revised; I recently experimented with selling an item (although I am a buyer only - it was a fact-finding mission!) and found that if the buyer has selected bank transfer at the checkout, that appears to be it...It's invoice-limbo.)

Remember that if the buyer wants you to post the item, he/she is asking for something outside what you've offered in the llisting. You have no obligation to agree to the buyer's request; if you do agree, then it's up to the buyer to pay for this extra service and yoou should definitely not be absorbing the cost of the buyer's additional wishes or putting yourself at risk in the transaction.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply