Shipping charge strategy

This is probably not a new or rare subject here, but I'm hoping for some ideas from more experienced sellers.
We're selling mostly flat and unbreakable items that we could charge ~$10 for, and our typical buyers would normally need several different types of these products. So it would be a good idea to incentivise them to buy several in one order. 
We'd like to offer free shipping to make our listings look more appealing, not least on Google shopping, so we priced them ~$12 and sent them as untracked letters for a while. That generated good sales but also many lost shipments and emails from ebay asking to only send tracked. Now we went back to eparcel and increased the price to cover the extra costs and the sales went down again. we could offer the products at $10 and charge shipping at cost which would suit buyers that buy multiple items at once and only pay one shipping fee, but then our listings would not be "free shipping" listings any more.
Questions: has anyone gone to the trouble trying every possible scenario and worked out the perfect balance of price and shipping charge?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Shipping charge strategy

Short answer - no.

Anything that will go as a letter gets 'free' shipping. Anything that doesn't, gets parcel rates explicitly advised.

You've been a member for over 20 years; surely you have worked out what works for you.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Shipping charge strategy

There is no one perfect model that will be translatable to every kind of business, it's really just trial and error until you find what works best for you, though if you are purely looking at balancing postage costs with item prices, I would look at making the postage cost roughly 25% of the item price ideally (I don't do this myself, for reasons explained below). eg If an item is $10 and postage is $8, then I'd probably make it something more like $14 with $4 post, with price discounts for multiple purchases, worked out however which way best suits, and assuming $14 wouldn't be too high above market value. 

That being said, since letter-post is something you can use for your items, have you looked into pre-paid tracked letters? I like buying those on eBay when I can get a discount and it will at least mean overall cost to the buyer can be lower than with parcel rates. 

I do flat rate shipping, myself, which is charged at tracked letter rates, and my items are low-value, which in some cases means my postage cost is twice that of the item cost (they range from a bit over $3 up to around $10) - most of my orders are multi-quantity, though, so this model suits. My postage charge was changed from untracked letter rates a fair while ago, and yes it had a noticeable impact on sales here, but not as much as I feared so I have kept it (it had no impact on sales volume elsewhere, only on eBay, and it took 4-6 weeks for sales to bounce back). Free post has never worked for me, even when total purchase price was less than what I previously had for item price + postage; in my case, people will pay $5 for a $5 item and $6 to have it posted, but they won't pay $11 for a $5 item, if you know what I mean.  

You might even be better off with a different strategy all together, though - eg free post but combined discounts for multiple purchases, which you can set up through "Promotions" (via the Marketing tab on your home page), and / or through listing specific volume discounts. 

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Shipping charge strategy

bmanly3
Community Member

What I do sometimes is offer both. Sometimes a buyer will type in what they are looking for and then they can sort the search for the lowest price or lowest price with postage included.

If the lowest price only search is done then the item not including postage always come up as the cheapest available. Others will search for lowest price/with postage which is smarter because that will represent the end cost all up.

So what I will do is have two different ads, say $10 + $6 tracked postage and the other saying $16 including free tracked postage. Both are the same price and covers both search criteria.

If selling multiple items that are the same then I would probably go the $10 + $6 postage and on the listing I will say something like "no extra postage costs for multiple items" that can work sometimes too. Good luck!

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Shipping charge strategy

20 years!! how time flies

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Shipping charge strategy

thank you for the extensive reply. 

I do offer discounts for multiple purchases on each listing, but that is only for he same product, and what byers usually need is multiples of different products. How would you use "Promotions" for this?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Shipping charge strategy

so what you suggest is to create 2 listing for each product and apply different shipping charges for each? so as to target both types of buyers?

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Shipping charge strategy

@***www.amber-moon.com*** wrote:

so what you suggest is to create 2 listing for each product and apply different shipping charges for each? so as to target both types of buyers?

Yes, if you have multiple items the same why not? You can't really do it if you only have one unique item as both sales might come in at once and you can not full fill one. I have found some buyers are obsessed with free postage, even though it isn't free at all. Others are obsessed with the lowest price. So by offering one sale of each it covers both. I have done it multiple times and sometimes it works. It doesn't break any rules and I never get anywhere near my ebay selling limits. Anything is worth a try, sometimes I just sell a lots of 2/3/4 or 5 as well. It just gives the buyer more choice that's all. 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Shipping charge strategy

@bmanly3 wrote:

It doesn't break any rules 

Just to let you know, AFAIK it technically it does, though it's not policed all that much - eBay has a duplicate listing policy, the bots just tend to not pick it up if there are enough technical differences between each listing (like pricing).  You can have multiple listings for identical items if there are significant differences, eg they are offered in different quantities (200pcs in one listing, 500pcs in another etc), but if there are no real differences at all (one having free post and the other not is not considered a significant difference - at least, they used to state this explicitly, though don't on the current policy page), so while it can go through and be listed, there is still potential for one of them to be picked up. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/duplicate-listings-policy?id=4255

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Shipping charge strategy

Thanks!

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply