Shipping suspended to USA?

Apologies if this has been covered; I couldn't find any mention of it.

I've only recently resumed selling overseas after shutting it all down last March. The first parcel I shipped to the USA went out a couple of weeks ago.  I just received a message from the customer alerting me to the fact that United States Postal Service has indefinitely suspended all deliveries to and from USA - Australia.  

I was able to confirm from Australian news sites that USPS has indeed suspended outgoing mail to Australia, but I haven't been able to corroborate his statement that mail from Australia is suspended. Australia Post's site makes no mention of it as far as I can see, and they're not answering their phones except for 'urgent inquiries', which is helpful.

According to tracking, the parcel is currently sitting in Melbourne, cleared for overseas delivery.

Not sure what to tell him.  Anyone have any clue about this? 

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

As far as I'm aware tracked parcel delivery to the USA is still ok. I sent something recently and it is also sitting awaiting departure, even though it was lodged on the 20th. The message in the Aus Post tracking box says :

"It's been a while since the last update. Your item is still moving, but may take longer to arrive at its destination. Limited flights and increased volumes have caused delays in processing."

I've looked at the Aus Post website and outbound mail is still ok across the board.

Then I had a look at the USPS outbound information and they have disruptions on mail coming TO Australia:

"*Australia’s service disruption affects Priority Mail International® (PMI), First-Class Package International Service® (FCPIS®), Commercial ePacket (CeP), International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) packets, International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) M-Bags, International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) packets, International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) M-Bags, and Airmail M-Bags."

So, for now our outbound packages are fine and you can tell your customer that you have checked the Aus Post website and that the mail service is still operating, albeit a bit slower atm.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It looks like AusPost suspended services to certain countries, but not to the USA:

https://auspost.com.au/service-updates/international-delivery-times

(scroll down)

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Here's a news item about the issue

https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/2021/10/05/us-australia-post-suspended/

Australia Post seem to have no information about it, at least as far as outgoing mail is concerned. Customer claims suspension includes mail from Australia, but I haven't read anything confirming or refuting this.  I suppose I'm concerned that the parcel could reach the USA alright, then fail to be delivered because of a USPS ban on incoming mail from Australia.  Again, I've only just resumed posting overseas on a few items, so no first hand experience.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Yes, there was a thread here too about USPS suspending mail to Australia, but not from Australia, as far as I know. Did you ask your customer where he or she read that the suspension includes mail from Australia? Even the AusPost site says they are still sending items to the USA, although of course there are long delays...

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

As far as I'm aware tracked parcel delivery to the USA is still ok. I sent something recently and it is also sitting awaiting departure, even though it was lodged on the 20th. The message in the Aus Post tracking box says :

"It's been a while since the last update. Your item is still moving, but may take longer to arrive at its destination. Limited flights and increased volumes have caused delays in processing."

I've looked at the Aus Post website and outbound mail is still ok across the board.

Then I had a look at the USPS outbound information and they have disruptions on mail coming TO Australia:

"*Australia’s service disruption affects Priority Mail International® (PMI), First-Class Package International Service® (FCPIS®), Commercial ePacket (CeP), International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) packets, International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) M-Bags, International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) packets, International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) M-Bags, and Airmail M-Bags."

So, for now our outbound packages are fine and you can tell your customer that you have checked the Aus Post website and that the mail service is still operating, albeit a bit slower atm.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Just tell them that there is only a hold on parcels from the USA to Australia,  not the reverse direction.

But there is a world wide pandemic (they may not have noticed),  and there are very few flights outbound to the USA so a lot of parcels are taking longer then normal.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Definitely not suspended.  They would most likely block it or put up a warning in MyPost when you select US if that was the case.  Being cleared for international departure is where the big delay is.  Lots of parcels still waiting to get on a plane, or were not scanned as they got on.  Most likely next update will be when they clear customs in the other country - that's the typical pattern.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply