Shut down those selling toilet paper on ebay

Community Member

Why is ebay allowing "hoarders' to sell ill gotten goods such as toilet paper on ebay? You are aiding and abetting these scum

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Why are people still posting about this when there are so many other posts about it? Why are you asking us who are only other buyers and sellers like you, not Ebay. Why are you accusing me? I am not buying from these listings so am not aiding these sellers. 

Latest reply

Tell eBay

Over 40 threads already

Why have'nt you reported the sellers?

Countless posts here with information and links how to do so

Most people here are NOT aiding and abetting them and are sick of people like yourself falsely accusing us of doing so

One more time

eBay DO NOT READ HERE

YOU do something instead opening yet another whinge thread

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Because it is easy

Because  they only 'care' enough to spam

Because they can hide here on the forum where neither eBay nor the sellers involved will ever see their comments

Because doing anything 'is'nt their job'

Because the mods here are happy to allow these people to keep on blaming the people here

Because, despite the dozens of posts letting people know what can be done, they 'don't know'

Attention seeking 

etc

etc

etc

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Apparently so people who can not read, can feel indignant.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

How do you know that the goods are "ill gotten"?
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:
How do you know that the goods are "ill gotten"?

I doubt they are ill-gotten. That would mean they were stolen, or obtained by deceptive means. Filling trollies full when you could still do it, and paying the asking price wouldn't qualify.

But it sounds good when OPs are ranting.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

It's a sad day when a person can't even have a decent rant in peace, isn't it?

LOL
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@0448200965,

These are eBay Community boards. They are peopled by normal eBay users, just as you are a normal eBay user. (I use the term "normal" judiciously.)

They are not peopled by eBay staff members, employees, management, etc.

That means that when you post "You are aiding and abetting these scum", you're misjudging your readership. We (the people who read your post) are not aiding and abetting toilet paper hoarders! It's as though I decided to message you with something like this: "You impaled twenty thousand men, women and children, simply to create a fearful spectacle to the invading Ottomans under Mehmed II." Both of these statements are directed towards the wrong person. (In my example, you would need to go back in time and hurl the accusation at Vlad ศšepeศ™ - if you didn't mind the risk of being impaled in retaliation by terrible Vlad!)

As to eBay's position on the issue of toilet paper profiteering in a time of COVID-19, read this:

eBay Announcement: A Message to our Community about COVID-19

Items that attempt to capitalise on the COVID-19 pandemic

We love that you can buy anything on eBay during times of need. Maintaining a safe and fair marketplace for our buyers and sellers during this time is our number one priority.

eBay is the cultural barometer of Australia, so during these uncertain times we see supply and demand reflect accordingly.

As a buyer, we ask that you exercise your judgement and be aware of those sellers who may be listing items that attempt to capitalise on the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. This behaviour is un-Australian and will not be permitted. We wonโ€™t tolerate scalpers of products that Australians need right now - especially toilet paper, face masks and hand sanitiser.

Our local and international teams are working around the clock and taking every step to crack down on listings that break our rules.

However, as eBay is Australiaโ€™s largest online marketplace - with 1.4-billion global listings to keep on top of - it can be challenging to control under these unique circumstances. If something doesnโ€™t look right, we ask you to report it, so that we can continue to make eBay a safe and fair marketplace.

(Rubrication mine.)

eBay even tell you, as an eBay user, "report it".

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Poor old Vlad. Always misinterpreted. Partticularly by Bram Stoker.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply