Sick of Ebay allowing China based sellers to use relatives Australian address

I am sick of ebay letting chinese sellers market their items as Australian sellers by using relatives or friends addresses here, and duping buyers into thinking they are dealing with an Aussie seller.

As a seller with several accounts I can see this creeping in to my categories. I doesn't take almost a month for a parcel to go from Sydney to Sydney yet this is the estimated delivery time. Ebay have lots of algorythms to catch the things they want to find, why haven't they got one for this?

Then you test your theory, purchase an item and when it arrives, here is the chinese postal label on it!!

As a buyer I specifically went looking for an item from an aussie seller, it wasn't all that expense ($70) but it was heavy and I wanted the assurance that I could return it easily if something went wrong. Well something did go wrong. It was damaged externally, but no big deal as still usable - but it was marketed as brand new (someone tried to drill one of the holes a little bigger than how it came out of the factory) but 4 screws and 4 washers were missing. Anyway chinese seller (portraying himself as an Australian seller based in Sydney) promised $20 compensation to ignore damage and buy the screws and washers myself, as I could not return the item to them. Strange I thought but I needed the item immediately so agreed. 3 weeks later no compensation or partial refund, and no answering any of my emails. I opened a dispute with Paypal, who instructed me to return the item for a full refund - and viola! the return address is a chinese one! So much for supporting aussie business.

I might make a formal complaint to ebay as I do not want to be duped as a buyer. The seller is still selling from an aussie address even though this was initially an ebay dispute so ebay are doing nothing about it.

The reason these chinese are doing this is because they know people want to deal with aussie sellers, so they have found a way to circumvent this choice as well.

And until July 2017 all these sellers portaying themselves as aussies won't be paying a cent in GST as we genuine aussie sellers do.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The Chinese sellers will not pay any GST in 2017.....they will be charging the buyers just like Australian sellers who pay GST do now.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

hi, this subject has been brought up many times on the forum. ebay doesnt read the forums, or if he/she does they dont fix the things that need fixing. no one who reads the forums can fix your problem with chinese sellers pretending to be aussie sellers.

your only choice is to not buy on ebay if you feel its so bad.

writing ebay a complaint letter will prolly just get a robot like reply. waste of time.

good luck with your attempt to end the chinese rort.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

@clearance_warehouse wrote:

I opened a dispute with Paypal, who instructed me to return the item for a full refund - and viola! the return address is a chinese one! So much for supporting aussie business.

This doesn't fully address your complaint, just this aspect of it, but if something like this ever happens again, use the eBay MBG process instead, due to the following policy - 

"

When an item isn't returned

In some instances, we may not require that an item be returned to the seller. For example, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from the seller if:

The seller chooses not to accept a return request for a not as described item

The item location was misrepresented

It's hazardous to send back the item

The item no longer has a value"

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply