Slow mail, what to do?

Hello.. 

I sell handmade cards with incl free postage (so very small cheap items)

i have got 3 requests last 2 weeks saying they haven’t received the cards. 
1 lady - I have remake and prepared to delivery myself, fortunatey she received the cards on the day i was going to deliver, took 3 1/2 weeks by post. And we live few suburbs away. 
another 1 in Melbourne too… havent got hers

what you suggest I do?? 
i never had this problem before. I assume will be more complaints in next coming days. 
any suggestions will be really appreciated 

thank you in advance

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Slow mail, what to do?

Change your handling time to the maximum time - even if you post the next day, this will protect you from some of the complaints.     I see you have 2 days or 3 days handling time on your listings, this is just not enough.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Slow mail, what to do?

Use  AP  tracked letters

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Slow mail, what to do?

I bought something small not too long ago, and although the listing said "standard postage" it was sent express (in a small express envelope), and it even really arrived the next day (from Vic to NSW). The seller also had a handling time of 3 weeks, although the item was sent promptly the day after I purchased it. I think she or he might have had similar experiences to you in the past and feared delays.

Or you can just use tracked letters (cheaper), although sometimes people manage to get their money back even if an item is tracked if it does not arrive by the last day of the estimated delivery.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Slow mail, what to do?

There are buyers out there who know that if an item is coming untracked, they can get a refund by claiming it didn't arrive. As the seller, you can't prove it was sent, because there was no tracking, so they win every time. They know it, and they rort the system. 

Nearly all my items go tracked, but every now and then there is one that could be sent as a large letter (no tracking). I have had 2 people of those who said they didn't receive it. Chances are they did, but as I couldn't prove it, I had no choice but to refund. Thankfully, they were only $6 items, so not a big hit.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Slow mail, what to do?

Change your handling time to the maximum time - even if you post the next day, this will protect you from some of the complaints.     I see you have 2 days or 3 days handling time on your listings, this is just not enough.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Slow mail, what to do?

And even though tracking is a good idea -  costing $2.95 each time will eat into your overheads quick smart.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Slow mail, what to do?

I have a 3 day handling time. I usually post the next day. For untracked letters eBay's estimate is 3 to 8 business days. So that's 2 weeks effectively before the buyer can claim INR.

I send 40% at least of my sales using untracked letters (which is 200+ pa). It is unlikely that sales to WA will arrive in that time. I can count on my fingers the number of INRs I've had opened in the last 13 years. None in the last 2.

Maybe book buyers are a bit more relaxed. Or maybe the buyers of personalised cards are time-sensitive and leave things to the last minute. Then blame you for their lack of planning.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Slow mail, what to do?

Yes. I sell card $4.25 including $1.10 regular postage. With tracking left me with nothing. I did mention to few customers can add tracking own expenses in the past, mostly declined . So i dont offer anymore.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Slow mail, what to do?

Oh thought buyer prefer a quick one. Thank you

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Slow mail, what to do?

Yeah i had people messaged on weekend wanting the card by next weekend. 
cant win

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply