Slugged $15 on a PP Chargeback for Accepting Responsibility. Huh?

What the title says.

Someone did a Paypal chargeback for $6.45 and I just wanted to get it off my dashboard and forget about it because I didn't have tracking, so I chose "accept responsibility" and refunded the $6.45.

Then I got an email saying I'd been slugged that $15 fee.

I was under the impression that you only got slugged the fee if you tried to fight it, which I didn't. I refunded the buyer.

I called them and the rep said that you get slugged the $15 no matter what option you choose, if you don't have tracking. Huhhhh?

Is this new? Was I mistaken?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

They changed it a few years ago to fees only being waived if the transaction applied for seller protection, but anecdotally it is not always enforced. 

This is why I would always dispute the chargebacks now, even if I don't stand a chance of qualifying for protection, there's at least a 0.001% chance the bank will decline it, and I may as well pay $15 for that chance and make PayPal work in some capacity for it, too. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

They changed it a few years ago to fees only being waived if the transaction applied for seller protection, but anecdotally it is not always enforced. 

This is why I would always dispute the chargebacks now, even if I don't stand a chance of qualifying for protection, there's at least a 0.001% chance the bank will decline it, and I may as well pay $15 for that chance and make PayPal work in some capacity for it, too. 

Ack. Thanks, Digi.

Guess I'm moving to 100% trackable envelopes now and will have to increase my postage prices slightly to cover it. I was planning to do that anyway, but it's now a priority.

Incidentally, the rep was quite snippy which I've never experienced with Paypal before - they've previously always been really good when I've called them. I didn't mince words but I wasn't rude to her, even pointing out that I knew that it wasn't her fault but that I was not happy.

When I pointed out that I would've been better off ignoring their (multiple) emails asking me to respond to the dispute because then I wouldn't be $21.45 out of pocket right now, she said, "okay, you can do whatever you want!" Um okay?

Meh.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I find that PP are completely useless when it comes to chargebacks and always have been.  I've had a number of them over the years and every single time I state the facts and they always say the same thing: that they are contacting the bank of the person who initiated the chargeback and up to X days may pass before an update.

If you enquire about it before then they will say the same exact thing, reveal nothing more, like they don't actually have anything, or done anything.  When the time passes, they always say the bank has closed the case in the buyer's favour.  They can never give any more details.  I firmly believe they pass nothing you give PP on to the bank and that it's not worth their time and effort to do so.  The $15 chargeback fee is icing on the cake for the company for doing nothing.  Even just a hundred of these cases closing each day would help pay a lot of their outsourced staff so the CEO is laughing all the way to the bank.

In most cases I have directly been in contact with buyers and asked them what the problem is and why they have done it and in about half the cases it was actually THE BANK which contacted the buyer out of the blue from their flawed protection service department to ask if it was a fraudulent transaction and the buyer simply said yes because they "forgot what it was".  Some buyers promise to reverse the chargeback, but really, who makes the time out of their busy day to call their bank after this has happened?  No one wants to talk to ther bank, like they don't want to talk to their doctor or power company.  I firmly believe also that most people don't care to do this, and the money is already gone once the case is initiated, along with PP's chargeback fee.

Chargebacks are a real down side of selling online, I've lost every single one of them no matter how much evidence I give PP and following up with the buyers involved.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@love_of_cars wrote:

Some buyers promise to reverse the chargeback, but really, who makes the time out of their busy day to call their bank after this has happened? 

Anyone who is not ok with being a fraud and a theif would make the time, IMHO. If a buyer makes no effort to get the chargeback stopped, or doesn't at least pay the seller again or send the item back, then they have made a conscious decision to be a fraud. 

Many buyers use the "it wasn't me" bit - I personally don't buy it in the vast majority of cases. I mean, of course when confronted, most people who did it intentionally are going to deny responsibility for it, just like sellers constantly get the "my cat accidentally bought this and I was going to just pay anyway, but then my wife was hospitalised with a sudden illnes, so I can't pay for it" excuses for unpaid items, and in those circumstances there's even less incentive to make excuses and try to seem like it's all through no fault of the person in question, but if a fraud turns around and says "yeah, I just want my money back, sucker" or "I used a card that didn't belong to me without permission and now the other person discovered it and refuses to accept the charge" then they've outright admitted to a crime in writing. 

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Unless your items have a high value adding tracking to letter post can cost you more than you may lose. I send around 5-10 letters per week so adding tracking to each would cost more than the one letter i have lost in the last 6 months which cost me $4 to replace. You would be better to increase your item price to allow for losses when they occur than charge and pay for a service that will cost you more in the long run.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The first time I ever initiated a chargeback on an ebay seller the bank explained to me that there would be a $15 fee payable by the "loser" of the chargeback.

In other words, if the seller won and did not refund me I would have to pay.  If I won, and received my refund then the seller would have to pay the fee.

I have never lost a chargeback so have never had to pay the fee.....I have only done 3 chargebacks in my life and all of them very much warranted so I would have been very surprised if I had lost any of them.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

paypal only cares about profits. try get help with issues and see the robots at work.

credit card payment are done via the bank and the bank can chage fees which are passed on to you. part of paypals little t&c's

still not as bad as this

PayPal reinstates controversial policy of pocketing fees from refunds

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20876570/paypal-refund-fee-policy-change-sellers-controversy

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

And yet PayPal is still better than the four major banks we are stuck with here in Australia, which couldn't ditch their suburban branches and free-to-use ATMs quick enough.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply