Smoke free / Pet free homes - WHY no pets?

aspie*mum
Community Member

I sell clothes, and have on eBay for 10 years.  I keep my TOS to a bare minimum (people rarely read them anyway) so don't mention my home is smoke free; I feel in this day and age that should go without saying.  

When someone asks me if my home is smoke free, I am happy to confirm that.

But I don't get "pet free".  What is wrong with pets?

I sell clothes - my dog/cat/bird/stick insect/snake/rabbit whatever other animal I might have, DOESN'T wear the clothes....so why would it be relevant?  What is wrong with buying from a home that has pets?

I've always wondered?  If you buy something from online, chances are you will wash or dry clean it before wearing it (and if you buy from the shops as well) as who knows who has tried it on or worn it before you!  So that would take care of any allergy issues.

So why no pets?  I tend to think people who dislike pets are angry people, therefore troublesome eBayers, therefore best to block them as soon as they ask the "pet free" question.

I have just replied to someone "My home is defiantly smoke free.  I am a proud pet owner, but please, rest assured that none of my pets wear any of the clothes I sell".

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Smoke free / Pet free homes - WHY no pets?

chezzy
Community Member

Perhaps James has not had the personal experience of trying to remove long term-smoke-smell

from any personal items....items with short term exposure get dry cleaned or dealt with by laundry?? I would say there would be a substantial difference between being exposed to a smoky club for one evening and having to deal with an item that has been in a smoky environment for many years!

Message 51 of 73
Latest reply

with comments like this you must be a smoker, what you are saying is not the case, anyone who is sensitive to cigarette can smell it even after washing and airing.

Sorry hawke, you are the one who is wrong, on both counts.

well that is surprising if you are a non smoker that you cant smell it because I sure can and its a putrid stench that makes me cough till I chuck.

Message 52 of 73
Latest reply

chezzy - that would be a perfectly plausible explanation if it wasn't for the same experience while working in corporate enviroment for years - where almost everyone smoked!

That was almost the norm not so terribly long ago - not just offices but even hospitals!

Most patients didn't even have to leave thir beds, there was an ashtray on a trolley next to them. And most of the doctors as well as nursing staff smoked.

Then you travel somewhere, sit 24 hours in a smoke space - even when in non smoking seat.

Restaurants, pubs - everywhere - coming home was a sanctuary and a respite from being surrounded by smoke!

Message 53 of 73
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

I am talking about items/goods that have been exposed to smoke long term such as books sitting in a chain smoker's house or other items that readily absorb the smoke smell, paper turning yellow as well as reeking of the old smoke. You can not dry clean or launder these items.

Lately I have been trying 'home remedies' to try rid some items of long term smoke smell - airing outside for days on end, storing in sealed bags or containers with bicarb soda, storing with strong scented items - all to no avail. I have not yet tried things like nilodor or febreze.

Was really hoping I would not HAVE to resort to other measures.

Message 54 of 73
Latest reply

I've seen one listing where the seller was more than upfront about pets in the house.  The description went along the lines of everything being sold 'under the supervision of her Siamese cat'. 🙂

As a cat 'owner' and with years of experience concerning the oriental breeds I knew exactly what she meant.  It made me laugh.  I liked her candour.

Message 55 of 73
Latest reply

If I bought clothing online and smelt like cigarettes, I would be peeved. I am a non-smoker and I hate the smell of cigarettes smoke in clothing

If i bidded on something and the seller hid they are a smoker, I would want a refund because it for one thing is not as described

Message 56 of 73
Latest reply

deja - if you were a clean mother you would wash anything new before you use it:|

Message 57 of 73
Latest reply

My items come from a home with over 200 non-smoking teddy bears, however their owner does smoke. Each item is aired outside before posting. If this is likely to offend you, please do not buy. "

What a comedian you are - NOT !

TCT
Message 58 of 73
Latest reply

I have pets but I do make a point of not allowing them to pee on the items I sell. I therefore do not feel the need to disclose in my listings that I have pets at home.

Message 59 of 73
Latest reply

'I am talking about items/goods that have been exposed to smoke long term such as books sitting in a chain smoker's house or other items that readily absorb the smoke smell, paper turning yellow as well as reeking of the old smoke.'

Chezzy, that is atrocious, I agree. Such items should not even be offered for sale.

Message 60 of 73
Latest reply