Sold Item showing as not paid

Hi Can anyone help me please?

I sold an item a couple of weeks ago and after I sent the invoice for him to pay via paypal he wanted to pay in cash on pick up as he worked close by and didn't have a paypal account. I said that would be OK and he paid the next day when he picked it up. Ebay keeps saying it is available for a 2nd chance offer which I don't know how to change. I also need to know why the payment symbol shows now that it is NOT paid. I have no idea how to fix this as I'm sure it had shown as paid last week.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sold Item showing as not paid

when you get more than one bid on an auction item - after the auction finishes, the ebay guru decides you might have another to offer, so you get these 2nd chance options for a while;  just ignore them.

If the item was picked up and paid for - mark it as paid.  

It is good that he did pay cash, because paypal is not recommended for a pickup item.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Why is paypal not reccommended for a pick up item?

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Sorry I forgot to say I went back into the sold item and click on options and marked as not paid then remarked it as paid and it then showed up OK as paid. Thanks for the 2nd chance offer note I will remember that and ignore it as you suggested.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

@patriciam3961 wrote:

see this excellent post from sir sales:

see cut and paste sections below and click https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and... to go straight to the PayPal user agreement page that these c&p come from):

PayPal Seller Protection Policy

Limitations

S4.1     The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

f.     The item is hand delivered

PayPal Buyer Protection Policy

Eligibility

S10.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

i.     Your purchase is not for:

vi.      Items you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf

(end of cut and paste)

To make it easy for anyone who does go to the agreement, the relevant section numbers and subsections/parts/clauses are the same in this post and the PayPal User Agreement i.e:

Limtitations S4.1: (f),

and

Eligibility S10.1 - (i): (vi)

found on webpage https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and...

Which of course extrapolates to

paying via paypal is entirely safe for buyers whether they can access the buyer protection policy or not given that the

payment can be made via i phone upon inspection and if the paypal payment is funded via credit card then the buyer

may be able to institute a chargeback through their credit provider.

However sellers have no such lien so accepting paypal for pick up items is  much less safe than requiring cash or a bank

transfer.

So why have ebay made it mandatory that pick up items must include a "safe" payment method when the only

mutually safe payment method for pick up items is cash??

I believe ebay made it mandatory because they know  that otherwise sellers could have listed items as pick up only with

only a cash or bank deposit option and then added freight at checkout after purchase thereby dodging mandatory

paypal requirements, fees and forced responsibilties.

So buyers when you see the "helpers" on here trying to convince you that paypal is not a safe payment option for pick

up items for buyers or sellers..,... have a bit of a think about whose interests those helpers really have at heart.....

One of the "excuses" (ie what ifs) from the "helpers" will probably entail

What if you pay via paypal and then get the item home and it does not work? ( or something like that)

Well  you have the same protection once you get home paying via paypal as you would have had paying via

cash or bank deposit.

In fact if you funded your paypal payment via credit card and institute a chargeback......

Then you may have much more protection using paypal as a buyer for a pick up item but definitely more than cash

or bank deposit can afford

I won't win many seller friends with this post... but.....

I really really hate biassed (and IMO incorrect or at least misleading) advice especially to the inexperienced..... how

about you??

I can't help ebays mandatory paypal stance but I am ahppy point out what I believe are its misgivings

atheism is a non prophet organization

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

when you get more than one bid on an auction item - after the auction finishes, the ebay guru decides you might have another to offer, so you get these 2nd chance options for a while;  just ignore them.

If the item was picked up and paid for - mark it as paid.  

It is good that he did pay cash, because paypal is not recommended for a pickup item.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Sorry I forgot to say I went back into the sold item and click on options and marked as not paid then remarked it as paid and it then showed up OK as paid. Thanks for the 2nd chance offer note I will remember that and ignore it as you suggested.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@patriciam3961 wrote:

see cut and paste sections below and click https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and... to go straight to the PayPal user agreement page that these c&p come from):

Limitations

S4.1     The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

Eligibility

S10.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

(end of cut and paste)

To make it easy for anyone who does go to the agreement, the relevant section numbers and subsections/parts/clauses are the same in this post and the PayPal User Agreement i.e:

and

found on webpage https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en-AU#Schedule_1_PayPal_Seller_and...

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

@patriciam3961 wrote:

Limitations

Eligibility

(end of cut and paste)

and

Which of course extrapolates to

paying via paypal is entirely safe for buyers whether they can access the buyer protection policy or not given that the

payment can be made via i phone upon inspection and if the paypal payment is funded via credit card then the buyer

may be able to institute a chargeback through their credit provider.

However sellers have no such lien so accepting paypal for pick up items is  much less safe than requiring cash or a bank

transfer.

So why have ebay made it mandatory that pick up items must include a "safe" payment method when the only

mutually safe payment method for pick up items is cash??

I believe ebay made it mandatory because they know  that otherwise sellers could have listed items as pick up only with

only a cash or bank deposit option and then added freight at checkout after purchase thereby dodging mandatory

paypal requirements, fees and forced responsibilties.

So buyers when you see the "helpers" on here trying to convince you that paypal is not a safe payment option for pick

up items for buyers or sellers..,... have a bit of a think about whose interests those helpers really have at heart.....

One of the "excuses" (ie what ifs) from the "helpers" will probably entail

What if you pay via paypal and then get the item home and it does not work? ( or something like that)

Well  you have the same protection once you get home paying via paypal as you would have had paying via

cash or bank deposit.

In fact if you funded your paypal payment via credit card and institute a chargeback......

Then you may have much more protection using paypal as a buyer for a pick up item but definitely more than cash

or bank deposit can afford

I won't win many seller friends with this post... but.....

I really really hate biassed (and IMO incorrect or at least misleading) advice especially to the inexperienced..... how

about you??

I can't help ebays mandatory paypal stance but I am ahppy point out what I believe are its misgivings

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I guess I should not post buyer advice without some seller advice as well

Google MOTO ( or card not present) transaction security checks

IMO

Sellers can make a pick up only item that is paid via paypal a safer transaction by

1 Requiring the buyer to present the credit card upion pick up.

2 record the exact name on the card, use by date and the CSV number on the rear of the card.

3 Check that the buyers licence and signature correlate with the signature on the credit card if they are the cardholder or a registered user

( you can check the paypal payment extended details on the paypal site ie the name of the cardholder)

4 Photocopy them if possible

5 I the buyer is not the credit card holder recorded on paypal then require that the credit card holder attend the

exchange

6 Consider tailoring your terms of sale for pick up items to reflect your "security" requirements presale and display

them on the pick up listing

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Did U also send an amended invoice to get your FVF back on the postage? 

But, if U do that now, U will have to tell your buyer why U are going to issue another invoice.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to explain
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply