Sold but funds not available for a month

I sold an item on the first of January but it says my funds are not available until the 29th January.

Why?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It looks to me as if you havent sold for over a year,  so you will be considered an infrequent seller, and as such will be subject to a 30 day hold period for security of the buyer and ebay.

Also have you signed up for managed payments,  if not you will be waiting longer

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Why would they not be?

Same rules for all 'new' sellers which you ticked you read and understood when you listed

You need to post the item within your stated handling time

And read up on all the changes since you last sold

As mentioned, if you also failed to sign up for Managed Payments and be verified before you sold, you won't get paid at all

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@mactheknifegreen wrote:

I sold an item on the first of January but it says my funds are not available until the 29th January.

Why?

Because you're a new or infrequent seller.

They all face a month's wait before funds are released.

It's a security thing. You haven't got a recent track record for hassle free sales on ebay.

Ebay has a money back guarantee to buyers if things go wrong with their purchase.

Ebay had to introduce something like that because in the past, some sellers just collected the money and never sent the goods. 

Just imagine this: Say you listed several items and sold them all in a short period, maybe a week or so, for  hundreds or even a thousand or more dollars in total. Then you had immediate access to the funds and decided to withdraw them and just close your account, not post anything.

Ebay can't afford for that to happen. They can't afford for it to be a regular thing, reputation wise, but they also can't afford it as they have a money back guarantee and they would have to repay the buyers. Out of their own funds.

So now they put a hold on funds for 30 days. Buyers have 30 days after an item arrived in which to open a claim. So if you post off your items quickly and ebay gets no complaints or cases opened for those items, then the funds are released.

Once you're selling a few things on a regular basis, that hold disappears. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

By way of a PS.

I just looked at your completed listing.

The recent sale was most likely somewhere close to $3000.

You can see what a security risk it would be for ebay to release the funds now as if you did take the money and run, that is a lot for them to reimburse a buyer, especially when you factor in postage as well.

I am not saying or implying you are dishonest, I am sure you are genuine, just that ebay treats all new sellers with caution for the first month.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply