Sold item notification of payment email

I got an email from ebay with the following subject heading, I have had sales since and none of them have it:

Subject Heading : Your eBay item sold. You'll get additional $guaranteedPriceDifference$ from us.....'Item title'

The "You'll get additional $guaranteedPriceDifference$ from us" part.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

was this only to your email address? or is it actually IN your messages on ebay?

If it is not also in your ebay messages, I would say it is a scam and not really from 'ebay' at all.  I've never seen/heard of such a thing personally (that said I don't have a store) 

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If it has come to your webmail account it could easily be spam or phishing.

If it's really from eBay it will have your full name in the salutation eg "Hello Marmaduke Sidebottom"

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I don't get sold notifications in my eBay messages.

OP - have you sold the item? ie - is it an item you had and have you received payment? If so, post and ignore the rest of the heading. We all know how in touch with reality eBay are.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Never seen it

Spoiler
Smiley Surprised
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I've had a couple of sale notifications with this header, and I know others have as well, but we weren't able to figure out a common factor to suggest the cause. 

The first time I got one was last year, when I was running a promotion while eBay had the no FVF offer on sales that qualified for the promotion, so I thought it was somehow related to that, but other sellers who got emails with the same header weren't running promos, and the next time I got one, neither was I.

Just a thought, though - maybe the buyer used a discount coupon? There could be some kind of coding error that results in that displaying in the notification, and it's referring to eBay paying the difference to you between what the buyer paid and the actual price. 

One way to check if it's coupon-related is to log into PayPal and see if you have the option to issue a partial refund, because when a coupon is used I'm pretty sure the seller can only issue a full refund (you'd have to click the link to issue one, but obviously not confirm any refund 😄 ). 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

It was direct to my email and the sale took place.

Thanks DG, a world of information. I wondered why I couldn't do a partial refund for a sale ages ago.....and had to do it directly.

It is the first time I have noticed it. My question is though what is the point? I find it similar to spamming someone. Ebay seems very "glitchy" lately though and they obviousely have that in the system.

I will check the paypal info on the payment.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Could be your buyer used a % off eBay code, and eBay has paid that difference, and the header was meant to be for their records as well as yours.  So what Digi said...but to add:

I just received a 15% off code and used it today, so I know there is an offer on now.

It's a use once, selected IDs only offer, so your other sales since wouldn't have used it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply