Sold item returning marked Return to Sender

First time this has happened -  a sold item being returned as unknown at this address "RTS".

I have tried contacting the buyer via text and email - no response.

Postage label didn't require my fat fingers to enter anything in manually, so no error there on my part.

Can't locate any guidance in the help pages as to the correct process for handling this situation.

Do I wait for the buyer to initiate a refund request? Or

Once I have the item back - am I best to refund the buyer straightaway (and block them)?

Just looking to avoid making a stupid mistake.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This has happened to me a few times....either wait and see what the buyer wants to do (they may want to pay you to repost to a different address) or refund and contact eBay to get your fees back?? If the latter, check with eBay first to see whether they will compensate you....if not don't refund the entire amount.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

This has happened to me a few times....either wait and see what the buyer wants to do (they may want to pay you to repost to a different address) or refund and contact eBay to get your fees back?? If the latter, check with eBay first to see whether they will compensate you....if not don't refund the entire amount.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Good advice. I am in a similar situation with a recent order which was returned to me after not been collected by the buyer who was very keen on the items they bought. Very strange. 

It seems strange that eBay does not have an automatic policy or procedure for this situation. Having to contact eBay for directions/confidence in how they will deal with the situation is really odd. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

One of my buyers (as noted below) was never 'carded' by A.P.....put in a complaint...A.P. then refunded her postage.......A.P. only 'hold' articles for 10 days

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

In my case, the buyer had a PO Box and I included their email address in My Post so they would have had notifications you would imagine. And then on top of that, tracking shows that the customer lodged an enquiry and presumably it was then sent to their local LPO but then never collected. 

Admittedly by the time it reached the LPO in their area, it only spent 2 days there before being returned so I imagine they either advised return to sender, or the LPO was not able to hold it for long. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

In my case, the buyer had a PO Box and I included their email address in My Post so they would have had notifications you would imagine

sorry....joke of the day

my P.O. only has intranet...can't even Google

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Finally heard from the buyer - now to get them to request a refund correctly (ie not via eBay Messenger)

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply