Sold used iPad now buyer wants to return for scratches on screen protector.

So I sold and iPad bundle, listed as used, 6 months old, had clear photos of complete screen and the add mentions that there is a screen protector on the iPad and a spare sent.

Buyer now wants to return due to scratches on screen & uploaded photos that I can’t see anything on of what looks like the corner of something with a screen on it, but I can’t even be sure that the photos are of the iPad I sent.
The original listing showed clear photos of complete screen showing everything as it was, I believe photos on listing form part of the description, so not sure how to proceed as I don’t really think it should be returned.

does anyone know if ebay would support my side if I contact them?

Has anyone gone through similar?

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Let me guess, you are an infrequent seller & the buyer has low feedback & is a relatively new member?

And you've just sold him an expensive iPad.

He's trying to scam you to get a free item. His message '' don’t worry I’ll close the issue'' is a delaying tactic & designed to make you feel he is a reasonable buyer. He won't close the case, but will wait until he can ask ebay to step in. If ebay step in they will close in his favor, refund him and let him keep your iPad.

Accept the return, send him a return label & I'd also recommend to stop communicating with him.

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Have you told the buyer that you think it is just the screen protector (and not the actual screen) and that they should just try to replace it?

Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

Hi, yes I replied this morning and told the buyer that, I also asked for clearer photos so I can compare to the photo on my listing.

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

The buyer could well be trying for a switcheroo, where they send back a dead item, knowing that once tracking shows delivered, they get a full refund. They then keep your item, for free. You are out of pocket and have a dead item that is worthless.

I hope you recorded photos of any serial numbers and whatnot, because that could be your only hope of winning a dispute (even then, it could be unlikely).

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

There is a photo of the serial number in the listing, but you have to enlarge the photo to see it and it is partly hidden under the colour used to highlight the expiry date of the Apple Care period, but it can still be read clearly.

Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

Yes I do have a record of true serial number on the iPad screen & on the back of the box as well.

I am concerned that he/she is trying something . The listing ended on Sunday morning & on Sunday evening they messaged to ask if the paid can I send on Monday. .. a bit pushy or didn’t read the listing properly….

not sure if I will get a reply or when I should contact eBay to get their help.

Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

Has the buyer open an eBay case for not as described?

Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

Do not contact Customer Service - they are usually helpless and will most likely give you the wrong information. They will also tell you anything they think you want to hear just to get you off the chat.

I assume they have not opened a case as yet. I would therefore just tell them that the item was sent as per the description and that the bundle is 6 months old and pre-owned. They are well aware they bought second hand goods. Say that unfortunately you are unable to accept a return.

Ebay now allows for sellers to deduct money from any refunds if the item is not returned in the same condition as when it was sent out. It may be worth your while to have a look at the deduction flow chart which should be in the Sellers Guide, but this is only if a case is opened.

For now, don't do anything other than send a message. There are some buyers out there who are unable to open cases due to high return rates and therefor try and pressure sellers into returning/refunding.

What is their feedback left for sellers like?

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

From what I can see it is only a return request at the moment & funds are on hold.

He has written that it doesn’t match description or photos & claims that there are heavy scratches.

honestly from his photo there is no way of knowing if this is even the iPad I sent him which is rose gold colour.

BDA88762-8808-4B29-94F7-72CC587D7238.png

1D9303ED-AAEB-4E80-A241-079A0A43DF25.png

8E18508E-D833-4A5D-AB9C-70578C1C8D2C.png

btw I have his address & I found him online. I know where he is studying at the moment as well.

does anyone know if he accepts that’s it’s ok & cancels the return request, can he open a return request again?

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

Ok, so he has opened a case - why would he cancel it?

You will need to accept the return and pay for a shipping label, otherwise Ebay will close the case in the buyers favour.

You could write to him now and tell him that you accept the return, but mention what I said about the deductions if the item is either not the same or not in the same condition as when it was sent. 

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply