Some buyers cannot get combined postage invoice. Why?!

A buyer is trying to purchase three items from me, but ebay is forcing them to pay for each item with full postage without the ability to wait for my invoice on the lot. I told them to use the website instead of the app, but still no luck. They've given up now and I've lost the sales.

A couple of days ago, another buyer had no problem doing buy it now on several items WITHOUT have to pay for each one first. I was able to combine their postage for them easily.

This inconsistency has been going on forever, including when I'm a prospective buyer as well.

Anyone know why the system works for some and not others? Both buyers are in Australia.

No responses from the usual lurkers who want to call me an idiot for not already knowing the answer, please.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Check your ' selling preferences ' - isn't there a place there to combine - each extra item a set amount. ??

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

The easiest way is probably to ask them to add the items they intend to buy to the cart and then request a total (there is a link in the cart). This does not work if you have "immediate payment" in your settings though.

Some buyers prefer to contact the seller prior to requesting a total because once a buyer requests a total they commit to buy the items, so they should know how much combined postage is first.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks, yes I did tell them how much combined postage would be before committing to buy. I find that not everyone can see the cart, but I'll suggest it to this buyer.. thanks.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

No, but I know I haven't selected 'require immediate payment'.  And another buyer was able to request an invoice just a few days ago on multiple items before having to pay.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Perhaps the other buyer was savvy enough to know where to go to ask for combined.??

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I think they have to click on "add to cart" rather than BIN, or they might not see the cart.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks, hopefully they can see the cart. I do know that, as a buyer myself, adding to the cart doesn't always work either for combined post. And that's when the sellers do not have 'require immediate payment' selected.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

It just seems to work for some buyers and not others. It's happened to me a few times as a buyer where I can't get combined post despite the seller doing everything right. Wish eBay would fix this, I've lost a lot of sales because of it and also haven't been able to make combined purchases on several occasions.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

No, it doesn't always work (some sellers told me so too in the past), but if the buyer requests a total I think the seller can just send the combined invoice himself or herself without eBay's automated system.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply