Strange ebay note attached to listings.

Hi  all - I have just noticed when I search items some of my listings have a strange message placed by eBay. 

• AU $58.00
    Trending at AU $106.32 *
  • Free postage

* (eBay determines this price through a machine-learned model of the product's sale prices within the last 90 days.) 

Only appears on the search page and not on the listing.  The listings are BIN  - Not sure how they obtain this information and really do not like it on my listings in the search section. 

Anyone else having this placed on their listings. It is not on all my listings but quite a few in the Beatrix Potter range.

Interested to know if anyone else has noticed. 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

i have noticed it - and I hate it!    Where do they get these ideas?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

i get them every now and then. I just ignore them, annoying as they are!

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@6508.froggy wrote:

Hi  all - I have just noticed when I search items some of my listings have a strange message placed by eBay. 

• AU $58.00
    Trending at AU $106.32 *
  • Free postage

* (eBay determines this price through a machine-learned model of the product's sale prices within the last 90 days.) 

Only appears on the search page and not on the listing.  The listings are BIN  - Not sure how they obtain this information and really do not like it on my listings in the search section. 

Anyone else having this placed on their listings. It is not on all my listings but quite a few in the Beatrix Potter range.

Interested to know if anyone else has noticed. 

The information has been appearing for quite some time now and as a buyer I like it very much.

On the example you have posted the average sale price of the item over the last 3 months is $106.32 but you are selling it for just $58.

As a buyer I would look very favourably on that and probably buy from you without looking too much further.

If the trending price was $106.32 and your price was $110 I would know to look elsewhere as other sellers have it much cheaper.

It is also telling you as a seller whether you are pricing your item competitively.

Ebay has told you how they arrive at the Trending price....read the second line you have posted in red.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, they have been around for a while.

image host
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

"Trending" is nothing but BS. eBay doesn't even take into account people who are inflating the average price by adding the postage costs to the item's price just so they can get a tiny GIF image next to their name because they offer "free" postage!
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

They don't compare eggs with eggs either. They compare items in the same category that may be vastly different in quality, or be completely different items despite being in the same category. Two items may be identical in almost all respects but one may have a more popular picture on it so the price will stay up. They also don't take into account that a Chinese seller may have the same product at a fraction of the Australian price. They also don't take into account the fact that the cheaper sellers may have very dodgy feedback, which isn't a fair assessment of an item's normal selling price.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Exactly. When my Michael Jordan Scoring King (1993-94) didn't sell the first time around, they suggested I should relist it as an auction starting at 99 cents! It's only worth around $100+!!!
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I get peed off with the "reviews" eg i list a one off country rd dress, and they have a star review rating for it on my listing. Not even for the same item but simply a star rating for country rd..What has that to do with my item?

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

As a buyer, I will be a little concerned if I see something for sale that ebay's message claims is around half RRP. (Which in effect this added price by ebay is doing.) I'll wonder if the item for sale is a fake.

The price ebay show is rubbish, far too many factors not explained in that price, most unfair to the seller. As another poster says "Where do ebay get these ideas?"

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply