Suspicous buyer from US

tcrazer
Community Member

I've just had a buyer from the US which I think is suspicious.  They have bought several high priced collector cards from me which were exclusive to Australia, they have zero feedback and the paypal payment is from an unregistered account. 

I've sold for over 12 years and this is the first time my spider senses are tingling.  Some things just don't sit right with me.  I am reluctant to send it as I don't think this is a genuine buyer.  Is a mutual cancellation the best way to recoup ebay fees?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Suspicous buyer from US

Just thought I'd add - if click and send seems a bit daunting and you still want to use pack and track, ask the post office to make you a photocopy of the mailing label after you've filled it out. They should be happy to oblige (even if you have to pay for it). 

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

Isn't it the case that guest buyers aren't covered by paypal protection until they register properly with ebay?  I think this has been discussed on the forums in the last couple of months but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it.  It's probably on the paypal site somewhere.  I'd still send as securely as possible but it might take a bit of stress out of the situation.  If it's not the case then it must have been changed pretty recently.

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

Apparently it's eBay's money back guarantee you're not covered by if you're a guest buyer, nothing to do with paypal.
Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

@englishrosegardens wrote:
Apparently it's eBay's money back guarantee you're not covered by if you're a guest buyer, nothing to do with paypal.

It is part of PayPal's Buyer / Seller protection policy, as well - if you use PayPal as a guest (whether it be on eBay or not), neither the buyer nor the seller has protection.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

What? So there's no protection for me as a seller.  So all these precautions are for naught should he do a chargeback? Oh, boy, I'm preparing to send off his stuff within the next two days.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

Sorry, I missed the bit in the OP where you mentioned the buyer is unregistered, but the precautions won't necessarily be for nothing - it's not clear whether the buyer has registered on eBay or not, but even if they are unregistered on eBay and PayPal, losing a chargeback is not a fait accompli, they can be fought regardless of whether you qualify for PayPal's protection (it's not necessarly easy to win, but any evidence you can provide certainly won't make it harder). 

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

You said that the seller did not have a paypal account, not that he was using ebay as a Guest as well.

If he wants to open an ebay dispute he will have to register an account so you will be covered for seller protection.

If he decides to do a credit card chargeback you can still defend that...it is probably easier without paypal's "help".

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply