The 21day hold

Good Evening, Can someone please explain this 21day hold on money as directed by Ebay to Paypal. I have a number of ID''s, I am a powerseller on this one although not selling on it at the moment. All bar one of my Id's have 100% feedback as I have one negative from a OS scammer on it.

I have been using some of my smaller accounts to sell cheaper items and one of them keeps getting the Paypal payments held for the 21 day period.

The ID has over 100 feedback

It is not a new one and was created in 2011

The first sale on the ID was in 2012

I have had 26 sales in total on the ID as per the Dashboard

I have made over 2,000 in sales as per the Dashboard

As far as I am concerned I meet all the requirements not to have my payments held particularly as I have now passed the 25 in sales mark. Ebay's states that your payments will not be held if:- Copy and paste below

• It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale; and
  • You've had more than 25 sales transactions; and
  • You've had more than $250 in total sales.

I am now being told by Ebay that I have to have had over 25 sales in the last 12months but that is not what their own rules state.

I provide a tracking number within one day of purchase and have received feedback from the buyers and have confirmation of delivery yet the money that has been on hold in the past (when I was below 25 sales) isnt released unless you contact them showing proof and threaten them.

Has anyone else had this problem as I consider that I meet the criteria as set out by Ebay not to have my funds held on this small account.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: The 21day hold

The only way to speed this up is contact paypal and explain to them that you have provided a tracking number and received feedback from the buyers without any transaction problems so therefore your money should be released immediately as you have met their criteria,I had the same problem on another account and once I complained my funds were cleared,good luck.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

And if they still refuse to lift the hold the lodge a formal complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS ). Doing this worked for us after they refused. And they have left us alone since.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I would suggest that this bureaucratic nonsense is just a move by ebay to discourage small sellers. The stupid part about is that a lot of people who sell on ebay also buy on ebay. If their funds are locked up for 21 days it can't be used to buy either. The practice quite possibly breaches some of the regulations concerning financial transactions.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

... and that is possibly why in every case I know about where someone has lodged a complaint with the FOS they capitulate and release the funds. They know its against laws but will not admit it until forced to.

If the FOS receive sufficient complaints they may do something permanent.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

allfixelectrical
Community Member

Thanks for the replies. I have used the Financial Ombudsman previously and they are a great weapon against Paypal however I would have thought that this particular matter is against Ebay. So for those of you who have lodged a complaint with FOS did you do it against Paypal or Ebay.

Also can anyone based on my original post tell me if you think I qualify for no hold since I meet all the criteria. Nowhere can I find that you need to have 25 transaction in the last 12 months. It simply says at least 25 transactions which I have completed on that id.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I think I read in the conditions that you need to have used the account regularly over the last 90 days (at least).  In other words, your last sale on that account must have been within the last 90 days, it can't be an account that you sold 25 items on a year ago and have just started selling again.

That said, I opened a new account in March, to segregate different stock categories, and the new account was subjected to the 21 day hold despite using the same Paypal account as my main ID.  I emailed Paypal (no point doing it through eBay as they don't listen), and let them know that I considered my long standing record of over 10 years without a single dispute, and my status as a Powerseller and TRS with my main account, as well as my selling history on other venues, should be sufficient to exempt me from the hold.  They agreed and all funds were released within 24 hours.  I didn't mention the FOS, although I had this up my sleeve in case they had refused my request.  No funds have been subjected to the hold since, despite eBay still showing the warnings when listing and in my sold list that funds may be held.

Mind you, eBay restricted my selling to 10 items when I opened the new account, upped it to 30 when I used the Request a higher limit button, and when I contacted them to state my case and ask for a higher limit, they upped it again to 200, suggesting they would not consider a further increase for 90 days and then only if I had accumulated 25 positive feedbacks.  I got an email  afew days ago, not at 25 fb or 90 days yet, giving me a little pat on the back and increasing my limit.....to 240!!!  Big deal!!!

Cheers,

Penny
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@bluebirdsvintagejewellery wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I have used the Financial Ombudsman previously and they are a great weapon against Paypal however I would have thought that this particular matter is against Ebay. So for those of you who have lodged a complaint with FOS did you do it against Paypal or Ebay.

Also can anyone based on my original post tell me if you think I qualify for no hold since I meet all the criteria. Nowhere can I find that you need to have 25 transaction in the last 12 months. It simply says at least 25 transactions which I have completed on that id.

You can only make a complaint about Paypal as eBay doesn't hold a FSL and therefore falls outside their jurisdiction. Although the direction comes from eBay, Paypal are the ones actually placing the hold on the funds so a complaint can certainly be made against them in relation to the hold.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply