The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia v Saudi Arabia Aus Post warning?

shed2shelf
Community Member

Hello, I recently sent an item to Saudi Arabia that has been 'lost in the mail' so not showing as delivered. The customer, who is new to eBay, has opened a non reciept report and when I researched how long it should take for an item to arrive in Saudi Arabia on the Aus Post website I noticed a large warning saying that items sent to Saudi Arabia must be labelled to 'The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia' not Saudi Arabia or they could be confiscated. The delvery address that I used stated 'Saudi Arabia' only, as was provided by the customer in PayPal and eBay details.  Will I be liable for the'lost' item?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

It depends what type of dispute they open. If it is a Paypal dispute and you have on line trackable posting to show you posted to the address as it is in Paypal then ther should not be any proble, If they open an ebay dispute then you may have to show proof of delivery but under the circumstances if wbay do refund the buyer come back here and a few of us will have suggestions on how to proceed. Likewise if it is a bank chargeback through Paypal.

There are too many what ifs to go through every likely way it may proceed so best to just supplyu your your proof of posting and wait to see what happens.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

The outcome of the dispute or request the buyer has opened will largely depend on where they opened it (via eBay or via PayPal), and what (if any) kind of proof of postage you have (noting that the buyer's country can also affect the outcome of a PayPal case, as the buyer's country takes precendence when it comes to who is eligible for what under PayPal protections, for example in Australia proof of postage is required, but in the US, proof of delivery is required, so if a US buyer opens a PayPal dispute with an Aussie seller, proof of delivery is required). 

If there was no tracking number, try putting the customs number (if you kept a record) in a universal tracking site, there's a few sites that will pop up in google search - the customs number isn't officially a tracking number, but sometimes they are scanned and tracked when they reach the destination country. You can also provide it to Australia Post to help identify and/or locate the package if you report it as missing, as internal records usually have more info than anything you can look up online. 

Chances are, if you're not able to supply any proof of postage or delivery, the buyer will be refunded. Unfortunately I don't know how leaving out "The Kingdom of..." will affect whether you will have any recourse with the postal systems involved, but I would assume so purely because it's an explicit instruction (It's a shame no one at the PO pointed this out when you posted the package, though, I know they can't be expected to know everything, but that seems like a really important thing to know and advise). 

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply