The Words Carved Caving

Commencing today 12th March 2019, Ebay have made yet another huge blunder, Should you use the words Carved Caving in the title or Description you will get this Error, and it won't allow you to List

If you didn't follow our Animal and Wildlife Products policy in the past and continue to overlook our policy, then you won't be allowed to list any ivory-related inventory, including permitted bone products and other collectibles.{e56585-1042409x}

What's Stupid, you cannot list any item that has the words Carved Carving, I sell Carved Jade, Carved Beads, Carved Coral, Carved Stone Pendants and more, all legitimate items, but some idiot has added those words to the Search Bot that highlights Ivory or Protected Animals and Wildlife.

Tried to List a Carved Turqoise Stone Necklace, No Mention of the Word Ivory, but they told me that Turquoise is an Animal,

Ebay is getting ridiculous, making it too hard and takes so much time to list an item these days and to get it corrected on the Chat line, 55 minutes to reveal this why I couldn't list the Carved Turquoise Stone Necklace, First the original service operator, then to the Accounts Section, they didnt know, finally to the Dome section who revealed it was the word Carved.

The Phone app has huge problems, every time they correct one error they create two, there are 11 errors on the phone app that I know of at this time,

I am sick of going to the Chat Line to inform them of yet another error, which they don't fix correctly, why not ask the sellers, an Email contact line to quickly advise of errors, would benefit Ebay and the Sellers.

Ebay owns Gumtree no problems there, why???

Just over it

Cheers Cherylb8668
Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The Words Carved Caving

@springyzone wrote:

Good grief, is the word ivory actually banned then??Smiley Surprised

I assumed it couldn't possibly be as so many things eg wedding dresses, would be in either white or ivory. I suppose it could be changed to off white but if colour words are being banned it is getting a bit ridiculous.

And a listing for lesley Anne Off white wouldn't get the same amount of hits, I'm sure.Smiley Wink

It was a while ago, but the seller was VERY peeved because banning 'Ivory' seemed to be quite random when it came to the artist's name.  Consistency is far from eBay's watchword I guess.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The Words Carved Caving

Sculpted.

Shaped.

Most sellers know, and have for yonks, that the app is not worth the price of the download.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

The Words Carved Caving

I find banning the words carved or carving a bit over the top.

The first thing that pops into my mind when I hear them is a wood product, not ivory.

They need some computer program that finds the words carved and ivory in the same ad before it sends up an error message.

I can see their dilemma in that they could hardly ban the word ivory as it is used in so many different applications and is a colour description. But really & truly, how often would people be listing carved ivory? I know it was a thing in the past & quite possibly a collector's item these days but I wouldn't have thought it would be a common item on ebay, or a common thing people try to list? 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

The Words Carved Caving

Would Spelunking be acceptable?

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

The Words Carved Caving

My items previously listed are OK but should I wish to revise one, I have to remove the word hand carved, which is the Hero Point to the listing, Hand Sculptured which Ebay suggested I use, just does not do it for me, I guess when they get enough complaints, they may correct this insane logic of theirs, but I won't hold my breath..
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

The Words Carved Caving

Lol
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

The Words Carved Caving

@springyzone wrote:

I find banning the words carved or carving a bit over the top.

The first thing that pops into my mind when I hear them is a wood product, not ivory.

They need some computer program that finds the words carved and ivory in the same ad before it sends up an error message.

I can see their dilemma in that they could hardly ban the word ivory as it is used in so many different applications and is a colour description. But really & truly, how often would people be listing carved ivory? I know it was a thing in the past & quite possibly a collector's item these days but I wouldn't have thought it would be a common item on ebay, or a common thing people try to list? 

A while ago I was collecting cat themed items and in particular ones that featured a tortie cat called Motley on china plates, calendars etc by a well known and popular British artist.  In a discussion with a seller she told me of the difficulties in listing items by this artist because eBay would ban one word...which really had to be included.  The cat artist was Lesley Anne Ivory. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

The Words Carved Caving

Of course I had to go and search for the artist you mentioned zanadoo....she does lovely work.

I am wondering if you were searching in the days before ebay decided that "naughty words" were acceptable if they were in the title of a book etc.  Surely if they were a person's name it would/should come under the same policy.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The Words Carved Caving

It's getting worse, just tried to list an Antique Venise de point tablecloth with these words in the description.
Venetian (point plat de Venise). The pattern was raised by outlining the design with a cordonnet, a heavier thread, bundle of threads, or horsehair, worked over with buttonholing, so that the curls, scrolls, and conventionalized leaves stood out like high relief carving.

OMG no way are Ivory or Protected WildLife Animals are in the Category Antique Linens, Maybe its the Horse Hair and again the word Carving. So I took out the Horse hair and changed carving to sculpture, but in doing so I am losing the true context

It's Madness
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

The Words Carved Caving

Good grief, is the word ivory actually banned then??Smiley Surprised

I assumed it couldn't possibly be as so many things eg wedding dresses, would be in either white or ivory. I suppose it could be changed to off white but if colour words are being banned it is getting a bit ridiculous.

And a listing for lesley Anne Off white wouldn't get the same amount of hits, I'm sure.Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply