The buyer no longer wants an item - best action

anna1247
Community Member

The buyer of an auctioned item sent a message 2 days(!) after the sale date advising the item is no longer wanted. I have made a Second Chance offer and it was accepted. The system shows that I am awaiting payment for 2 items now. How do I deal with the auction winner, who refused the item? Do I cancel the transaction? Report a problem?

Also, I am not sure about the fees in this case.

Thank you for your help.

Anna

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You should receive your FVF fees back if you cancel the sale BUT make sure when you do cancel SELECT that the buyer Wants to cancel. You will still receive a note from ebay saying YOU have requested the cancellation don't let that bother you as you WILL NOT get a defect providing you select the BUYER wans to cancel.

Alternatively you can wait until it is 4 days after they have purchased and opt for the non payment from buyer process this could cause problems if the buyer does not agree to cancel.

Personally I would choose the first option I mentioned - you will probably need to wait 10 days until you get your FVF back AND also you will get an annoying message from ebay stating they are waiting for the buyer to confirm you have refunded them EVEN though they have not paid.  THIS is the SILLY new system ebay has introduced!! 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You should receive your FVF fees back if you cancel the sale BUT make sure when you do cancel SELECT that the buyer Wants to cancel. You will still receive a note from ebay saying YOU have requested the cancellation don't let that bother you as you WILL NOT get a defect providing you select the BUYER wans to cancel.

Alternatively you can wait until it is 4 days after they have purchased and opt for the non payment from buyer process this could cause problems if the buyer does not agree to cancel.

Personally I would choose the first option I mentioned - you will probably need to wait 10 days until you get your FVF back AND also you will get an annoying message from ebay stating they are waiting for the buyer to confirm you have refunded them EVEN though they have not paid.  THIS is the SILLY new system ebay has introduced!! 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Never ever offer a 2nd chance until U finalize the sale.

The buyer could come back at U & want to pay U for the item later & U would be in trouble because U have sold it to someone else without finalizing the sale.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Personally, I would wait the 4 days and open an unpaid item dispute. It's a much quicker and safer option than the cancellation and no chance of a defect. If you cancel, the buyer could decline the request and you would lose your fees. If they ignore the request it takes 10 days before you can close it to get your fees back, compared to 8 days for an UPI. The other thing is, if you cancel, the buyer could still leave you bad feedback if they got the urge, whereas once an UPI is closed, they are blocked from leaving any feedback.

There have been reports of sellers still getting a defect for buyer changed mind, so I wouldn't be risking it because someone can't make their mind up.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Buyers can also decline to agree to cance an UPI by responding and saying they are paying etc.

From my experience with the new system No defects if the correct reason is given - have had several of these the past month. Also spoke to CS person yesterday regarding this.

Agree the UPI is a much faster process but as the customer has personally contacted OP and advised change mind ( very annoying especially on an Auction sale) I would still lean towards the cancel due to buyer change of mind. Due to being an Auction though it may be wiser to do NPB.

Do whatever you feel most comfortable withโ™ฅ

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

The problem I can see is the seller has already sold it to buyer number 2. And I can't say i blame him in a way because by the time he waited for an unpaid item case to go through, the second highest bidder could be long gone.

Now I am not the expert to ask here, someone else might be able to spell out the details but for me, I think I would go ahead and sell to the second bidder (provided he pays) and also put in a cancellation, claiming buyer requested it.

If by any chance the first buyer turns around and pays, then I guess the seller is going to be in for a red dot or a defect or whatever but I think the chances of that buyer paying are low.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I just had this happen, the buyer was really rude and just contacted me and said " I dont want the item" What the hell? rude people....... and she is bidding on something else of mine that is ending in a few days. Should i report as non paying?? If she gets a strike over it can she leave me bad feedback because she is **bleep** off?

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Open a UPI case after day #4 then if she still does not pay close it again after another 4-days. Once thus happens she Can't leave feedback for the transaction. If she does before the case closes eBay will remove it. Ad for the other bid I would cancel the bid and add her to my BBL so she Can't put on another bid.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Personally speaking, I would cancel her bid on the second item, add her to your blocked bidders list, and then report her as non-paying.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Kezza, I think justajunk and ABCD are right.

Personally speaking, I would cancel her bid on the second item, add her to your blocked bidders list, and then report her as non-paying.

----------------

If the buyer doesn't go ahead with the first sale, you can definitely put in an unpaid item dispute and you would win it. The bidder would not be able to give you feedback or if they had jumped in early and done so, you could have it removed.

BUT let's see how it works out if you allow them to bid on item 2.

You put in an unpaid item dispute on item 1 and win and the bidder is annoyed. They shouldn't be as it is their own fault, but let's say they get narky about it.

They then win item number 2. If they do pay for that, they may decide to give you a neg for it just as payback over item 1. That won't be what they say of course in their feedback. You won't see "I didn't pay for my first purchase so now I am getting back at you for reporting me." Oh no, they will say the item was terrible, delivery slow or you were rude.

And ebay will allow that as their opinion.

So cancel their bid, ban them from bidding.Smiley Happy

And get a strike against them for item 1.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply