The defect system

Can anyone explain - in simple terms - what the point of the defect system is?

Will defect rating / percentage be visible to prospective buyers? How is it different to the current DSRs as seen by buyers?

I was shocked to discover that 1.71% of my transactions had defects, primarily due to low ratings for item not as described. I sell mainly women's clothes, and provide photos of front, back and close up views of all items, and relevant measurements. I suspect that the low DSRs on item description are due to buyers not actually reading the description, which include the measurements and basing their purchase on the title and photos alone. I list items as the size my many year's experience in measuring women's clothing believe them to be, which is not necessarily the same size on the garment label. However, I always state the label size as well as the size I believe it to be, including the measurements. There seems to be no way round this issue. But lately I have had a couple of buyers complain that the size on the label doesn't match the listed size. I gently remind them that this was stated in the listing description, but no doubt after they have marked down my description DSR.

Do other clothes sellers think if I started doing the opposite - listing clothing by label size, still with measurements supplied, I would have the same issue? I just have a feeling that less people who would actually fit the garment would find it. Those who found it based on the label size, then discovered the measurements didn't match, wouldn't buy.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

The defect system

@egglesdtp wrote:

Do other clothes sellers think if I started doing the opposite - listing clothing by label size, still with measurements supplied, I would have the same issue? I just have a feeling that less people who would actually fit the garment would find it. Those who found it based on the label size, then discovered the measurements didn't match, wouldn't buy.

I personally always did the opposite - I'd list the label size in the title, and if it measured noticably larger or smaller than the standard / average for that size, I might mention it in brackets (eg Size 12 [Small] ). Then in the description I'd say it was labeled as a size X, measured on the small or large side of that size, and to please compare the provided measurements to a similar item that fits. A lot of people are familiar with a certain brand's sizing, so will search and buy based on label size. 

I can only say that I did that for a couple of years (I don't sell clothes any longer) and never got a low DSR for description, and only a couple of times had buyers contact me over sizing issues, but one was before purchase and it had turned out I'd put another garment's measurements in the listing, and the other just didn't like how it fit and wanted to return. 

To be honest, I can't really provide a point to the defect system, the only "practical" effects, if they can be called that, are to disqualify a seller from TRS benefits (which on other sites include fee discounts), or from being able to sell on eBay. Buyer's don't see them at all, and it offers very little in the way of actually improving seller practices, IMO.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

The defect system

The point of the defective defect system is that eBay own too many top rated sellers (how terrible that so many are doing a great job).

The problem they have with this is the discount on FVF for TRS.eBay count every cent & it will rake in a lot more of your selling cash if you don't get the discount.

Soon or even now,most of us are defective,not often from ratings from transactions but from eBay's silly nitpicking new system.

So don't worry,everyone will be defects,except for buyers.Even the worst ones.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

The defect system

Oh on your question abot sizing,sorry i was too busy having a rant about defects.

I type my listing as- Tag Sz... best fits Sz ... then add the flat measure.

People don't measure & are dead set on stupid tag sizes,despite the fact that sizing is not standard anymore.So you gotta spell it all out so they get the right fit.Even now i have to add that bust measure is taken between armpits "cos some just don't know.

I hop that's more helpful Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

The defect system

I would list the garment's official size in the title. Because some people shop by the brand they know, and limit a search by size.

then measurements in the listing nice and big.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

The defect system

I find the whole thing totally "defective" in itself. The wording alone is a joke and totally absurd. Whoever came up with this "New System" ?? 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The defect system

On the US boards a rep cited that defect is just a system term and they also gave the example of Six Sigma as a systems approach that used this term.

Even though Six Sigma was cited as an example by the rep, IMO the premise of this approach seems akin to the system eBay is introducing:

Cut and paste from google:   "Six Sigma at many organizations simply means a measure of quality that strives for near perfection."

and ...

"Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving toward six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process – from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service."

What a hoot !!

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

The defect system

I'm currently a TRS according to my seller dashboard, but I don't get any discount of FVFs? Oh well, I'm just not going to worry about the whole stupid defect system - and what a ghastly term to use!

I will take on board the comments re sizes, and from now on, will list the tag size in the title. At one point I put my sizing table in the description, but I am sure not many buyers ever read it.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

The defect system

@thecatspjs wrote:

"Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving toward six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process – from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service."

What a hoot !!

I remember reading that when the defect system was announced, and googling Six Sigma. 

Dear eBay - FYI, Six Sigma is all about the things businesses can control, not the uncontrollable things, like buyers. The business gets to assess and perfect their processes, not be subject to going out of business because an outside party decided they changed their mind and thought the best thing to do was open an INR dispute.

Sometimes only a bleep will do. >_<

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

The defect system

Totally agree Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply