The trials and tribulations of selling on eBay

Q Hello seller, we re interested in knowing whether your curried egg plate is still available. If it is available we would be interested in coming to Bendigo tomorrow 2 May to pick it up if that is possible .
Looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

A  Hello Pick up tomorrow would be fine & I have revised the listing to make it pick up only. Recent eBay rule changes (and penalties for infractions) forbid me from sending any contact details until after the item has been purchased on eBay. Regards Stephen

Q We are coming to Bendigo tomorrow and would like to pick up the curried egg plate as advertised. Please contact me with collection details

A  None

Q Hi Stephen,

Where do we pick it up from and what time. We are currently in Cobram and about 2 hrs 15 from you. Please let us know.

A Hello  As mentioned in my previous response recent eBay rule changes (and penalties for infractions) forbid me from sending any contact details until after the item has been purchased on eBay. Once you have bought the item I am free to send these details. I can be available any time that suits you tomorrow. Regards Stephen

Q Thanks Stephen,

This process is just too complicated for a simple purchase. We will come to Bendigo anyway but won't purchase the product. We will explore antique centres.
Thanks for your help, but we wanted this to be a cash transaction.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I feel your frustration.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.. but in hindsight it probably would have been worthwhile to mention they could hit the sold tab and simply pay cash on pick up.

They still might not have bought, mind you, although it sounds as if they probably would have.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Someone that simply doesnt know eBay.

Many think - buy eBay pay PayPal, no exceptions.

Just gotta ignore the noobs. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I feel your frustration.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.. but in hindsight it probably would have been worthwhile to mention they could hit the sold tab and simply pay cash on pick up.

They still might not have bought, mind you, although it sounds as if they probably would have.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

They have been a member for 6 years but only have 3 feedback so I think you're right.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

they didnt want it very bad did they.

if i wanted something id follow the rules and get it.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Whether this is best practice of not can be debated I guess, and it was in the early days. We were faced with the same situation. I determined  the buyer to be genuine, as best I could, and they agreed to buy the item (BIN) upon my guarantee to refund and re-list if there was anything untoward about the item when they called to collect.

It sold to them, along with a few others, which I was really pleased about. They've since become good repeat customers. Mind you, they had a fair bit of buying history and good feedback, unlike in your case OP.

There would have been a bit of inconvenience, had they not bought, for sure, but it worked. I'm not sure of any bad implications, other than for the inconvenience.

Melina.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Had I sold the item to them (outside of eBay) I would then have had to end the item. Ebay look at ALL ended items and look at messages pertaining to that item.

It would have led to me having a 'holiday' from listing for a week as I've already had my warning and it appear that the next breach is not being able to list for 7 days (and more severe for further policy breaches.)

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply