To refund or not? How to avoid returns? Impact on sales....

Hello all,

I recently sold a dress to a buyer with very clear T&C saying that I do not refund for size issues. Measurements were clearly included in the listing. Buyer received dress, then sent me an email saying it didn't fit her and she had sent it back to me and wanted a refund. I pointed out the T&C and asked if she had actally posted it back already. She said she had and replied, re the refund, something like "I guess it's up to you". This kind of return has been happening to me a bit lately and is starting to annoy ... I guess it comes with the territory.

I do wonder whether to refund in light of my T&C (but know that inevitably I will ....).  I offered refunds when it was a condition of "top rated seller". I don't acheive that status now because I can't offer free postage etc so am wondering if I shoud go back to a no refund policy. 

Has anyine done this and noticed if sales really drop off? Do buyers really want and need a refund service?

thanks in advance

ks

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: To refund or not? How to avoid returns? Impact on sales....

@lemmayj wrote:

That sounds workable, but I'm not sure how easy it is to specify a return process where buyer pays both lots of postage (eminently fair for change of mind returns IMO).

I'm using turbolister at the moment, and the returns policy has the option to accept returns (or not), but if you accept returns you only have the option to choose whether buyer or seller pays return postage...

How do you specify that change of mind returners must pay both postage amounts?

TL gives you the option to specify your parameters for returns. Click further.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@lemmayj wrote:

How do you specify that change of mind returners must pay both postage amounts?

I tick the box for buyers to pay return postage, money back etc, then outline (verbally) in my description and policy section that only the purchase price is refunded. As I do accept change of mind returns, the policy specifically only covers those, and for anything that is faulty, not as described etc, I just ask separately that people contact me directly for the best solution (however, I think I will elborate on that and include the range of solutions that can be offered; i.e. refund, replacement or repair for faulty / NAD items, refund or exchange for change of mind).

When I do refund for a change of mind return, I simply deduct the original cost of postage from the payment and refund the difference.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks thecatspjs - great idea re images and description - I will definitely try that
Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

I used to give a refund and a return of item but never again because this one item that was returned to me wasn't even the item that I sold,the sneaky buyer swaped it with a cheaper item and kept the valuebable one.I didn't refund their money as I didn't receive my proper item back so I left it at that and put this transaction into the 'never again basket'.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply