To track or not to track

Do you give buyers the tracking number of parcel post you send to them?

Do any of you have AusPost tracking saying the item is still in transit (and last scanned at wherever weeks ago) long after it was delivered ( the buyer told you via feedback it was received )?

I'm not sure that continuing to give buyers the tracking number is a good idea if the tracking can be so useless...I've asked AusPost for the tracking on 2 items to be updated to Delivered but they can't / won't because they have no record that the items have been delivered.

So to Track or not to Track is the question....do I give some dishonest buyer the chance to lodge an INR claim due to AusPost  not scanning items and updating tracking when they should?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To track or not to track

If a buyer goes out of their way to be dishonest they can check tracking number when they recieve it to see if it is recorded as delivered.

By not uploading it you may avoid those who didn't intend to this but suddenly realized it as possible as they had been watching tracking only to have it turn up unnanounced.

On the flip side by not uploading it you can frustrate a lot of honest buyers, and cause them to preempt item not recieved claim as they have no assurances you actually sent it, and so cut you no margins on late deliveries. Having tracking uploaded is very reassuring for buyers. 

Dont throw away good customer service for the majority out of fear of the "what if" shadows.

Uploading automatically keeps your own ability to follow it up easier if you post a lot.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

To track or not to track

I received an AP email from someone who was following up on a missed item for me.  The email stated something like "sometimes items miss being tracked at all points and may even be delivered without being tracked along the way".

So it seems that it is not a guarantee that the AP tracking details are a guarantee OR correct at times.  It's just another thing sellers have to be aware of ..... sigh.  The email also pointed out that the only real way to guarantee a record of delivery is the "registered post" option (an extra $2.95 parcel $3.70 letter) ........ sigh

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

To track or not to track

I use eBay postage labels and it's automatic. As I post over the counter I also get the all-important 'lodged' scan.

To track or not to track doesn't seem to be your question.

To advise your paying customer of tracking details for the service THEY have paid for seems to be.

YES.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

To track or not to track

mmmmmmmmm

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

To track or not to track

I don't use ebay's labels so no I don't upload tracking or give buyers tracking because of the incomplete tracking. I don't think it's a good idea.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

To track or not to track

@iainlouden wrote:

Do you give buyers the tracking number of parcel post you send to them?

Yes I do. I always hand my parcels in over the counter and insist they scan them. I've now got my local PO well trained.

Only time I've ever had an issue with a buyer complaining 'where's my parcel?' I was able to check the tracking facility on the AP website, and in this case found that her parcel was awaiting collection at her local PO and had been for a week. I sent her a screenshot of this info and of course, never heard another word from her. I don't know whether the PO had carded her or not, so don't know why she hadn't collected her parcel, but I do know I was thankful I had given her the tracking number. Not that SHE checked it of course before accusing me.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

To track or not to track

To give tracking numbers to buyers or not is exactly my question.

Having proof of postage and the lodgement scan is not protection as Ebays tells us " Remember, the seller is responsible for the item until it's in the buyer's possession."..and that includes items lost in the postal system...Seller protection requires that the tracking status says Delivered.

I always lodge over the counter and get the item scanned but that does not guarantee that it will be scanned further down the line and the tracking can show it being in transit long after it has been delivered...even when I pay extra for signature on delivery.

Even worse the tracking will tell a buyer if you lodge an enquiry about an item that has not been tracked to it's destination.

I have 2 items sold in the past few weeks where the tracking has failed and will never say delivered.

Luckily both buyers are honest and confirmed that the items had arrived.

If I do not give the buyers the tracking numbers they will be blissfully unaware that the tracking will never say delivered in those cases where AusPost fails to fully track items.

If a buyer was dishonest the incomplete tracking would back up a false INR claim.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

To track or not to track

Having proof of postage and the lodgement scan is not protection as Ebays tells us " Remember, the seller is responsible for the item until it's in the buyer's possession."..and that includes items lost in the postal system...Seller protection requires that the tracking status says Delivered.

Australian consumer law states that generally items are deemed delivered when handed to the carrier. eBay fantasies do not trump the law, as has been proven many times. And seller protection is provided by Paypal, a separate company.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

To track or not to track

you are 100% correct  lainlouden.

the fat lady does not sing until its delivered.

but i am afraid there are still some sellers out there that think once its in a red post box  or in the hands of an ap emplyer ,that the job is done.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

To track or not to track

@iainlouden wrote:

I have 2 items sold in the past few weeks where the tracking has failed and will never say delivered.

Luckily both buyers are honest and confirmed that the items had arrived.

If I do not give the buyers the tracking numbers they will be blissfully unaware that the tracking will never say delivered in those cases where AusPost fails to fully track items.

If a buyer was dishonest the incomplete tracking would back up a false INR claim.

If a buyer WANTS to be dishonest it does not matter if you give them the tracking number or not.

If the item DOES NOT arrive then they are not dishonest, no matter what the tracking says.

If the item DOES arrive they can still look up the tracking and see what it says.   If it has not been scanned as delivered and they make a claim only then are they dishonest.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply