Totally baffles Aus Post send notice saying I owe$80.60!!

Received underpaid notice...

Date lodged 23/5214 1 $90.15 postage on article correct postage $152.75

"       "                    "   1 $0.00         "                  "               "             $  18.00

Invoice asking for $80.60

In the sample of addressee section it says for 12 underpaid articles with ebay labels during 17/3 to 30/5/14

What the hec????????????

I weigh all my parcels prior to printing labels to ensure correct postage and weight are done...

Will definately be phoning Aus Post MOnday to see what they are playing at.

checked my receipts for that day sent 2 @500grms via ebay postage labelling $7.15 paid for each

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

First off your items need to weigh under 500g after all packaging and taping and label goes on - your parcels may have ended up weighing more without you realising it.

Home scales are rarely accurate and usually under weigh items by quite a bit - I know my scales are out by as much as 15grams.

If an item is sent and is over weight AP charge you the cost of actual postage plus a fine that can be equal to the postage - they usually disregard any postage that has already been paid which is nice of them.

If you did not take the items into AP for a posting confirmation receipt and request said article to be weighed to confirm correct postage weight you do not have a leg to stand on.

I always get everything weighed at AP even when doing ebay labels or C&S or prepaid satchels - for my own peace of mind and if items are overweight I take home and repack to keep under.

I have received items from sellers sent in 500g satchels that weighed over 500g and have had to pay the outstanding postage just so I could collect my item.  Also have received a 320g parcel in a 500g ebay satchel with my postal details in the clear pocket with no postage paid and no return address and had to pay $18.00 to collect that one as the seller "forgot" to do a C&S label and they refused to refund my postage or the fine.

Good luck sorting out with AP - you will probably have to pay up if you can't prove the weight was OK.

PS: It says 12 underpaid items NOT 2 in your message send over a 2 month period.  You had better check all your items mailed

Message 2 of 43
Latest reply

If I'm using my kitchen scales to weigh up something, I try and keep it to no more than 450g packed, because of potential discrepencies. If I think it's going to be closer to 500g, I'll take it to the PO and chuck it on their scales. They really don't mind you going in just to weigh something. I have done it quite a few times. They'd rather you do that than have to chase you for underpaid postage. My kitchen scales are pretty close to AP's scales, but I still don't risk it. I send a message to the buyer letting them know that I will send their invoice when I've been to the PO to get the correct postage. Most are happy with that.

Plus, what Lizzy said is right, they have to be UNDER 500g. Once they reach 500g, they fall into the next price bracket. 

Message 3 of 43
Latest reply

Anybody who uses their own scales at home to weigh postal articles would be well advised to invest in some calibration weights, which cost under $5 for an entire set, or only $1 each individually, which is a very small price to pay to make sure that you're never charged for insufficient postage.
Message 4 of 43
Latest reply

They are called 500g satchels - I thought up to and including 500g was OK, 501gm next price category?
Message 5 of 43
Latest reply

If item weighs 500g you can be charged in next weight category if AP are feeling grumpy so always make sure under 500g.

Message 6 of 43
Latest reply

When you weigh your items do you weigh them with all the packaging materials and if you fold the whole A4 sheet when you print the label do you add a sheet of paper to the scales? My scales match exactly with the PO scales but forgetting to weigh that sheet of paper can tip it over the 500g.

To make it easy I have a 500g satchel with a ziplock bag, a sheet of tissue paper, a compliments card and a sheet of paper folded together which goes on the scales with every item I am weighing.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 43
Latest reply

That's right Prue, 500g is included in the 500g price...
Message 8 of 43
Latest reply

My scales ($26 digital kitchen type) weigh exactly the same as AP. I sometimes go up to 2 grams less than the weight limit, but leave the satchel open to adjust the packaging if I have miscalculated.

I always hand the prepaid online parcels in over the PO counter to be scanned. They don't always weigh them though.

Message 9 of 43
Latest reply

I have electronic scales and have never had problems before. I write the weight on the ebay print out I keep just for my record keeping. My weight is actually within 1 or 2 grms of the Aust Post scales at my local AP shop.

I weigh prior to printing label with all packaging etc. I am always annoyed when my parcels come to 502grms but I print out the proper weight ie 3kg or BX1 when required. At the moment on ebay lables BX1 are still $7.15 ( same as 500grm ebay labels presently).

I will be phoning AP tomorrow to try and get some more info. Hopefully they will have a record of which parcels supposedly were over the weight. I am truly surprised about the notice as I know I am studious when it comes to printing the correct lable for the parcel.

Will see what transpires tomorrow.

Cheers, appreciate your input.

Message 10 of 43
Latest reply