Trouble with a buyer

Hi, 

I have a buyer who has bought an item from me and paid for it but is now messaging me saying that they have purchased more items from me and need me to confirm. 

I have only sold her one item and I cannot tell her otherwise.  I have sent her screen shots from my app showing her the item she purchased and how much she paid me but she is still convinced that I have sold her more items!! I don't know how to resolve this!!

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Trouble with a buyer

For a person like this, you need to come over as quite definite and organised. Polite still, but sure of yourself. You need to project that confidence to the buyer, don't be wishy washy as in 'I can't see any other purchases from you' or 'I don't know what else you could have bought'.

Be definite. 

"You have only ever purchased one item from me. It is XYZ, which you bought on x/x/2024."

Then go on to outline how they may have placed items in their cart without a purchase actually going through so they need to check that as you can't see unpurchased items in people's carts.

Tell them to check their purchase history as the other option is they may have bought some items from another seller but if so, it will show there.

I think it is extremely important you answer the query, to head off trouble if you can. I know you already have, but keep replying to any fresh messages so she knows you are still engaged.

Plus I also worried about possible feedback. A lot would depend on the wording of any neg as to whether it could be removed or not.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Trouble with a buyer

Nor do I.

Maybe check your emails, use a computer, ignore her.

If she hasn't bought anything else from you there is nothing to resolve. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Trouble with a buyer

has she maybe got them in her cart.

Or did she add mutliple items to her cart and paid for the lot, not realising that part of it went to you and part to someone else.

Not sure what you can do,  but I would sweat it, as someone like this would open a case and give you negative feedback even though its not your issue.   

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Trouble with a buyer

I have no idea either.

Of course you would have noticed if she had used two different accounts (same name, same address), so this can't be the problem.

The fact that she asked you to confirm is weird. I guess she didn't get a confirmation email from eBay and is confused (obviously, if you only sold her one item), so maybe something went wrong and payment for the other items didn't get through, or the items are still in her cart (as already said) (just two possibilities, but nobody can really know what happened without seeing her account).

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Trouble with a buyer

Maybe tell her to look at her purchase history?

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Trouble with a buyer

Yes, if she doesn't have the items in her purchase history she has not bought them and there is nothing she can do against the seller.

Is she new to eBay?

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Trouble with a buyer

@arctoph_49 wrote:

Yes, if she doesn't have the items in her purchase history she has not bought them and there is nothing she can do against the seller.

Yes, but no, because she did successfully buy one item,  and OP does all the right things, she can still give a neg because she thinks she is missing items, even though op sent her what she actually purchased.   Not justified but possible.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Trouble with a buyer

That neg could be removed - if not applicable to the item purchased.

Not difficult to prove how many items were purchased - seemingly only one.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Trouble with a buyer

Yes, but as domino said, if the items she thinks she has purchased (maybe in good faith?) are not in her purchase history and she mentions in her fb that other items are missing, eBay will remove that feedback.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Trouble with a buyer

@arctoph_49 wrote:

Yes, but as domino said, if the items she thinks she has purchased (maybe in good faith?) are not in her purchase history and she mentions in her fb that other items are missing, eBay will remove that feedback.

Yes I am aware of that, but it is still something op needs to consider. And depends how they word the feedback it may not be removed.  I'm just giving an alert, sorry if that upsets you. But if it helps op, I don't care.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply