US Customs documentaryrequirements when sending goods to US?

I'm seeking information and experiences regarding what is required by US Customs when parcels are sent to the US.

I've already sent a few parcels to the US with no issues but want to make sure that continues. The goods I sell are valued between $15 and $400. I've only ever had to fill out a customs form at the local post office advising seller name, address, description, quantity and value of the goods. I've not always included an invoice and there has been no mention at my local PO about the need to incldue an invoice. 

However and while the US Customs website also doesn't state that an invoice is compulsory (except for goods being imported for commercial purposes) the language used really seems to suggest that there could be problems if there is no invoice included. 

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases

Cheers

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The standard form used for AP international parcels includes a customs declaration section to declare what the goods are and their $$$ value. In the "reason for export" section I mark the " other " square and write "sold merchandise" . This seems to be all that is rerquired. I have been sending items to the U.S. for several years using the AP form without including an invoice and never had a problem.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I don't know whether it's still the same but a US seller once told me they looked into customs duty and found out that if the items are used (secondhand) there's no duty payable, so they always put Used in the description on the declaration.  If it's still true it could help your buyers of vintage car parts avoid duty, chameleon, if you put Used Car Parts on the declaration.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I think be proactive and include an invoice if it lessens the likelihood of a buyer running into probs with customs and/or appropriate duties.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply